What's new

Major slowdowns...

PureChaosX

As the title says... not much... a few of the games I try on Demul seem to suffer from huge slowdown at the same parts of the game.

Chief among these is Sonic Adventure 2. The slow down doesn't occur because there is too much going on on-screen, it just... slows down. The only way to fix this is to disable Opaque Modifier. This makes the game run with very little stutter, but of course it also degrades the overall quality of the graphics by removing shadows. And this is the ONLY setting that fixes it... nothing else does.

This sort of slowdown only occurs within Sonic Adventure 2, and no other game... at least not yet. A game such as Metropolis Street Racer seems to run flawlessly, despite being more "graphically complex" (?) than SA2.

The Compatibility List shows SA2 as working fine, but not for me. I've tried several different versions of the game, including multiple PAL and NTSC versions, to no effect. Is this a normal occurrence in SA2 that people come across?

My PC is no powerhouse, but if it can run MSR and pretty much every other game I've thrown at it.. why not SA2? Even the first Sonic Adventure works fine.

If it's relevant, my basic specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3GHz
4Gb DDR2
EVGA GeForce GT 730 2Gb GDDR5

Any clues? Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks!

EDIT? OH MY GOD, are you serious? My post was denied because I had an AT symbol in here, I can't post the AT symbol because the site thinks it's a URL? Or bad language? What??

Last edited:
Despite i love the core2duo series and i have very fond memories of mine,
Your specs are kinda outdated for the latest revisions of demul.
But,
Did you try setting the max layers to 8?

emusa

Sorry, your system is too weak to properly run Demul. Both your CPU and GPU are outdated and slow.

I suggest your try NullDC for emulating Dreamcast games; it has much lower requirement - and much less accurate emulation (but it's fine for lots of games).

MetalliC

Demul developer
[MENTION=114620]PureChaosX[/MENTION],
can you provide detailed explanation on that exactly levels of SA2 and there exactly you got slowdowns with Opaque Modifiers emulation enabled ? and VMU save with unlocked these levels .

OP
P

PureChaosX

Emusa
You say that, but every game I've ran on my outdated PC has, so far, run full speed at 60fps, rarely dropping below 40fps. All games have been playable and run at a speed that feels no different than the Dreamcast itself. Only Sonic Adventure 2 has had issues, that are at least fixable by disabling the odd setting.

MetalliC
At the moment, the only stage I've seen it on is City Escape (I haven't progressed any further), and the slow downs don't technically occur in the same places, though it's hard to tell. The Opaque Modifiers disable the shadows on Sonic and the cars, but leave the shadows on the rings and trees etc. This alone makes the game run at pretty much full speed... just turning off the shadows from Sonic and the cars. It seems to be the only option (video, audio etc) that has any effect. So VMU save at the moment, I deleted all VMU saves as I just played SA2 for testing.