What's new

Command line -dc rom launching issues (no spaces or character limit??)

dillpickles

Sorry if this is a repeat of another thread, but I couldn't find anywhere else on the web that mentioned this issue.

I'm able to launch dreamcast games via the command line with
"demul.exe -run=dc -rom=pathtorom\Rez.gdi".

However the launch only works if the rom has no spaces or underscores in the name so:
"rom=pathtorom\Sonic Adventure 2.cdi"

will not launch but renaming that to "sa2.cdi" and typing:
"rom=pathtorom\sa2.cdi" will launch on command line no problem.

Also, rather oddly: "rom=pathtomrom\Sonic_Adventure_2.cd" will also not launch the game.

I have no problem loading these roms with the GUI. But I am trying to configure Demul to work with Ice and Steam, and that requires a command line launch.

Is this a character limit, or an issue with spaces or underscores? Perhaps I've done something else wrong elsewhere in my set-up.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

MetalliC

Demul developer
-rom is for arcade games only, there must be specified short name of the game, for example
Code:
demul.exe -run=naomi -rom=crzytaxi

for dreamcast games must be used -image switch, something like
Code:
demul.exe -run=dc -image="Deep Fighter v1.002 (2000)(Ubi Soft)(NTSC)(US)(Disc 1 of 2)[!].chd"

note: currently there no automatic GD-ROM plugin selection for Dreamcast games, so it must be done manually, select gdrCHD for GDI or CHD images or gdrImage for CDI.
no need to do this for arcade games, gdrCHD will be used automatically if needed.

OP
D

dillpickles

Thanks for the quick reply Metallic!

Unfortunately, i still have the same issue with -image not being able to run a file with any spaces in it, regardless of whether or not it is a .gdi or a .cdi.

In other words "Rez.gdi" and "JSR.cdi" will both run with the above command (using -image), but "Rez Check.gdi" and "Jet Set Radio.cdi" will not run. Demul will launch, but it wont boot into the Dreamcast.

MetalliC

Demul developer
welcome.
cant say anything except "it works fine for me", with spaces in the image file name or without.
what emulator version you are use ?
post full 'not working' command line

MetalliC

Demul developer
ok, but why you deleted double quotes at first launch attempt ? if you didn't do this image must be run fine. in short - if path or filename contain spaces it must be in double quotes i.e.
Code:
demul.exe -run=dc -image="disk:\some path\some file name.cdi"

and that's not demul specific, it is the same in the case of any other windows program

Last edited:
OP
D

dillpickles

Wow. I'm embarrassed that it was something so simple, but I am so glad that it was an easy fix. Thank you so much for helping out! It is much appreciated! I owe you a beer or two, thats for sure.