What's new

GUI for Selfboot

Darkice

Hi, exoskeletor. I am glad you recovered from your illness . I just have a question to ask u . Do we need the Utopia boot disc if your self bootable discs created by your exoboot program dont work ? I am trying to run Resident Evil code veronica and i have all the required specs mentioned in your chankast manual.
And can your exoboot create self bootable images out of both original and non original dreamcast discs ?

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
ExoBoot can't create selbootable games from original games
The image and the cd's that are created are 100% bootable and doesn't need any selfboot disk like utopia.
If anyone make an image and it doesn't work then try to make a bootable cd from a cd-rw disk and then make an image of it.
(I have say a lot of times that for now the images from the exoboot are not working 100%.)
If you burn a game in a cd it will work 100%. Except if it is a WinCE game

Im going for holidays for 3-4 days. C u from an internet cafe or when i will be back

Last edited:

Darkice

My friend always runs the utopia disc in his dreamcast before playing resident evil code veronica , so do we need the utopia boot disc in order to run the game in chankast ? is resident evil code veronica compatible with chankast and self bootable ?
has any one played resident evil code veronica successfully ?
if yes , please tell me how did u do it ?
i have already downloaded the utopia disc

Happy holidays , exoskeletor !!!

Darkice

SHUT UP AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS ,ky_jelly , you clown !!! I am talking to exoskeletor and others who are interested in helping people who use chankast, so STFU ky_jelly.
I hope the moderators ban u from this forum .You are absolutely ruining this thread by the starting to flame in this thread .

NeoWhiteWolf

K Jelly, If you have used the utopia disk it says "If you paid for this you've benn ripped off". Utopia is free cause its meant to be that way. COmpanies just call it something else and try to sell it kinda like Action replay and Discs like that are sold under a dozen names.

And Darkrice, He has a point to a small degree. You dont own a dreamcast...therefore you cant use the bios legally period. And unless you own the GDROM of the game you want to use on CHANKAST then you cant do that either. The CHANKAST team is trying to keep one of the most Anti-Emulator companies ie. SEGA from finding a reason to sue them. Such as promoting pirating and sharing copyrighted files. Hence their over zealousness of the RULES of no BIOS request, NO ISO requests and the such. If you have a serious question on "cough" less legal aspect "cough" then ask it in a Political Correct manor such as.

Dear Exo,
I have the Utopia Disk Image as well as CHankast with NTSC (U) Bios and i can not get a Non-boot image to work and im having problems with your Self Booter GUI. +State Error or Specific Issue+ and wait for response. Mods will usually calm those who feel "obligated to state the obvious iun a rude and hostile manor.

Last edited:

feartetsuo

EXO- I am having troubles with your program. When ever i select mode 2 to make the image file from the data file. it always deletes my dummy file and gives me a image file around 200 mb instead of 700mb. No matter what option i pick it still deletes my dummy file. Is there anyway to stop the program from deleting my dummy file so i can have a image gile of around 700mb?

Last edited:

Darkice

Neowhitewolf ,I already own the GDROM . I am never gonna ask for ROMS ,ISO or BIOS. All i want you do is help me in running my homebrew games and making MY dreamcast games bootable
what is the WinCE file which exoskeletor mentioned and how do we create that dummy file which feartetsuo mentioned ?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Some dreamcast games were developed using the WinCE development platform. Chankast does not support these games.
Using the utopia boot disk you may be able to run some non-selfbootable games, but if you can't a selfbooting program is the last choice.
I personaly think that the whole procedure (to try and make a game selfbootable) is kinda useless since Chankast partialy supports the utopia boot disk and probably it will support it entirely in one of it's later releases.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
PsyMan said:
I personaly think that the whole procedure (to try and make a game selfbootable) is kinda useless since Chankast partialy supports the utopia boot disk and probably it will support it entirely in one of it's later releases.
Yeah, my Dreamcast supports the boot disk, too, but I#m to lazy to insert it every time, so I use the selfboot thing and I don't have to insert it every time. Great, isn't it?

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
Is anyone still here? Im still updating my program
- My program is more stable now
- CD reader shows only cd-roms/rw and dvd-roms/rw and not hard disk drives,floppies etc

painkiller78

Hi there, of course there are people here, your program is great... i have used to fix some images i downloaded... is good, keep the hard work :canadian:

feartetsuo

Exo- is it just me. But why does your program always delete my dummy file when i try to make an image file from my data folder? I got it to wor once with out deleting my dummy file, and the game was selfboot. But now it always deletes my dummy file and leaves me with a 200mb image file.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Ex0skelet0r said:
Is anyone still here? Im still updating my program
- My program is more stable now
- CD reader shows only cd-roms/rw and dvd-roms/rw and not hard disk drives,floppies etc
Yeah, still there and waiting for a new version.
And I've found another little bug: sometimes the dummyfiles are in the folders, bit the ip.bin is everytime in the main dir of the cd. But you great prog can't browse these others fodlers, because there isn't a ip.bin. Hope you can handle this too! Great prog, man, keep working on it, would be a shame to discontinue it now on these great stage!

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
MasterPhW_DX: thanx for the info. i didn't know that dummy files could be in folders too. i will fix it.
feartetsuo: why you don't want the dummy files to be deleted? there are useless.

feartetsuo

The dummy files are used to push the actual game data to the outer part of the CD, for faster and smoother loading i guess. Great program though, it really is.

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Ex0skelet0r said:
why you don't want the dummy files to be deleted? there are useless.
in fact, it's useless if you use a cd or a cd image with your pc, but if you want to use the cd with a dreamcast it's avoid useless work for the dreamcast drive...
feartetsuo said:
The dummy files are used to push the actual game data to the outer part of the CD, for faster and smoother loading i guess.
no, i know it's written on the echelon selfboot guide, but it's wrong...
(here infos about gdroms : http://mc.pp.se/dc/gd-ws_txt.html )
dummy files are created for the use of cdroms on dreamcast (it doesn't exist on gdroms), the purpose of this file it's to fill the cdrom of datas (real or not), because if a part of the cd is not written, the dreamcast drive will attempt to read that to see if it's an audio track (a small slowdown + useless work for the drive)...

note: in the link you can see it's possible to write the files in specific order (by a list) but it's a gdrom feature... remember your are on pc when you write files on cd, and you can't select the order of the files (so i'm curious to know how the dummy file can push something, because you can't select his location on the cd)...

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
Thanx for the info. i will release a new version soon.
I'm working on another program now. (creating a bootable windows xp cd with the service pack 2 if you have the original windows xp cd (with service pack 1 or without it) and the service pack 2 patch)