What's new

Emulation programmin

doggie

Banned
Hi.. i'm currently learnin c/c++ and was wondering wat else would i need to make an emulator or the easier one to start with

doggie

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
a reasonibly good knowledge of c++ should do you fine. For starters you should try something like a Nes or GB emulator. They have quite a bit of information for you to read and understand.

Cyberman

doggie said:
Hi.. i'm currently learnin c/c++ and was wondering wat else would i need to make an emulator or the easier one to start with

doggie
Well GB/GBC is an easy one to start with .. Z80 is the processor and it's an LCD not many colors the audio is pretty simple on it. Not sure what else but that's about it :)

the GBA might be a bit much considering how complex it's display device is and it uses an ARM thumb processor (compressed 32 bit opcodes)

Azimer

Emulator Developer
If you do not mind working with hardware switched memory, I highly recommend the Atari 2600. It has a small amount of registers to deal with, and uses a standard 6502 CPU. Because the ROMs are so small, it would be easy to trace through the code as opposed to a NES or GB game which tends to be more complex.