What's new

Editing plugins

Trotterwatch

Supergamer, could you please stop making posts such as this. You have already made one near identical post asking for software to make an emulator, this question could have been addressed in the same post, as to be quite honest it has the same answer.

OP
supergamer

supergamer

Banned
I know, but I think I can make things better and better... But a few weeks later I give up. Maybe I have to wait for better plugins and emulators and play only (and edit less!)

mesman00

What's that...?
maybe you need to learn what the hell you are talking about. If you don't even know what software is needed, you have no chance in creating a sucessful plugin. Why don't you go grab yourself a programming for dummies book (or something similar), and start off by learning a language.

Cyberman

supergamer said:
I know, but I think I can make things better and better... But a few weeks later I give up. Maybe I have to wait for better plugins and emulators and play only (and edit less!)
You might be having difficulties due to language barriers..

Well.. there is no 'software' to make a plugin.

There is information how to make a plugin and what software to use to make one.

You need to learn a programing language, generally C++ because most emulators use those. So you need a C++ compilor. In addition to just a compilor you need to learn how to program in C++. Unfortunately this is not possible to do in a few weeks. Might take a few years. You can study tell your head explodes and that it will and still not understand it completely. It takes time, you have to be patient. A few weeks is not enough in other words.

After you are done with the language part of things then comes the emulator part of things. The details of the N64 or PSX or Game Boy Advance hardware. You have to replicate this in software. In the case of the N64 it's an R4300 processor a 64 bit CPU with 2 special coprocessors for handling audio and graphics.

For the MIPS R4000 instruction set you have some well known opcodes you can read and execute (this is called an INTERPRETOR as it does one thing at a time). Newer emulators use dynamic recompilation. This TRANSLATES from the native instructions of the R4000 instruction set to the (ahem) x86 for windows machines or the PowerPC for MACS. Dynamic recompilation is much faster but not a thing for someone new to programing to try. Think of it likened trying to build a sky scraper without knowing anything about construction at all.

Dynamic Recompilation is VERY complex.

Other forms of emulation include HLE, this is very different from the former to methods. HLE is a combination of an interpretor/dynamic recomp system and a library layer. The N64 used a similiar library for almost all it's functions thus one could pick off calls to library functions in the system. These calls are then "Stubed" and tossed to equivalent function calls in ones own code. Bypassing the need to do a lot of extra work essentially. It's relatively simple compared to dynamic Rec.

As for tweaking things for games.. go for it! should be fun to get things working.

Another thing is working on an emulator is not for the kind of person who gets tired of something in a few weeks. It requires a few years. A totally different kind of dedication, your time before you get any rewards can be quite long.

Cyb

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The guy seems to be an almost-15 year old from the Netherlands. He may not quite understand everything we are saying and he may not understand how crazy his requests are. He is a youth. Rather then complaining about him as far as you posts go, it would be better doing a short and sweet explanation using simple language and be done. I would also recommend not replying at all. :) That is just my opinion and the last time I will likely reply to any of his threads.