What's new

Nvidia rolls high-end graphics processor

Cyberman

I'm curious what people think of making hardware specifically to work with Microsofts whimsical graphics standard DirectX. Granted NVidia supports OGL but ATI doesn't (which I think is dumb but that's just my opinion I guess).

Here is an article about the new Nvidia FX (pixel shaders and programable stuff galor in it). They don't directly compare it with the new Radion chip from ATI but they do mention some differences and such.

The chip adds an FPU as well it eats as much as a P3 in terms of power. this doesn't include the 128M of memory it supports either. Power budget for this chip is 35 watts for the GPU and 15 watts for the memory. 8 4Mx32 chips and a 128bit bus are supported. Memory is a DDR500 interface.

Cyb

ra5555

N64 Newbie
No you are wrong ATI supports OGL because my friend has a Radeon 9000

how else would they run Quake3 at Quakecom then? lol

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
ddr 500 memory? dam that's fast. :eek:

I think that it has support for the api, but not better support compared to nvidia.

Slougi

2bzy4ne1 said:
ddr 500 memory? dam that's fast. :eek:

I think that it has support for the api, but not better support compared to nvidia.
500 Mhz ddr memory on a 128-bit bus. Thry have around 16.8 GB/sec of actual bandwidth, while ati has around 19 GB/sec on their r9700 pro cards. The actual bandwidth of the r9700 is higher, but the gffx has better compression technology.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
hell I don't know, last ATI card I had didnt support opengl, even though that was the only API quake2 used. Those morons knew this too but expected you to run the damn thing in software mode.

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Welll hitting ATI's web site it says it supports the 1.3 spec of OGL.. I've heard nothing but bitching about ATI cards and OGL though so I'm really skeptical about how well they actually support it.

Cyb

radTube

lazy bastard
Cyberman said:
Welll hitting ATI's web site it says it supports the 1.3 spec of OGL.. I've heard nothing but bitching about ATI cards and OGL though so I'm really skeptical about how well they actually support it.

Haha, you've heard nothing but bitching? Well, let me correct that. My 8500 runs OGL beautifully :D

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

radTube said:
Haha, you've heard nothing but bitching? Well, let me correct that. My 8500 runs OGL beautifully :D
Yes.. but that might mean it just supports the subset of OGL1.3 that is needed to run normal games. I know if you use plugins for ePSXe it becomes a whole new matter. OGL 2.0 should reduce a lot of the problems and remove extensions people have made to 1.2 and 1.3 specs. Such as negative textures (IE they subtract from the color of something else) and other affects.

A lot of people complain about Pete Bernadete's OGL plugin who have ATI cards. So my guess is whatever he uses has issues with there implementation. Too bad there is no MESA port to windows anymore.

Cyb