What's new

Emulation Configuration Tip

R

rico001

This configuration tip most people already know but I will share it incase you don't.

Most emulators that are emulators today are only capable of running at 320 x 240 resolution or lower.

Desktops typically display higher resolutions such as 800x600, 1024x768, or higher. Emulators displayed with these monitor settings look too small compared to the entire screen.
Often times the image is too small for quality viewing and can be difficult to see. Some people have tried to compensate for this small screen size by scaling the videogame image. For example scaling a game that supports 320x240 into 640x480. The scaled image usually looks uglier than the original. There is a simple solution to this problem.

<font color="orange"><B>In order to get good image quality, and a natural look with possibly higher framerates configure your monitor display to run at 320x240 or at the normal resolution of the system being emulated. Next make sure the emulator is configured without scaling or unnecessary filtering.</B></font>
This is also a friendly reminder to emulator programmers, Such as SNES, to provide support for this. You might also want to make 320x240x0 the default setting in MAME.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I disagree. I can make 3d games (not SNES or others like it) look a hell of a lot better in higher resolutions. Yes 2D games will look better if they arent scaled but N64 games will not look better at a lower resolution. It is good to keep a resolution that is a multiple of 320 x 240 such as 640 x 480 or 1280 x 960 but it still works on 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768.

The larger the resolution, the finer the lines are even without AntiAliasing.

Anyhow regardless of what I think, this is in the wrong place
/moved

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Most emulators that are emulators today are only capable of running at 320 x 240 resolution or lower.

Who told you that? lol

Desktops typically display higher resolutions such as 800x600, 1024x768, or higher. Emulators displayed with these monitor settings look too small compared to the entire screen.
Often times the image is too small for quality viewing and can be difficult to see. Some people have tried to compensate for this small screen size by scaling the videogame image. For example scaling a game that supports 320x240 into 640x480. The scaled image usually looks uglier than the original. There is a simple solution to this problem.

<B>In order to get good image quality, and a natural look with possibly higher framerates configure your monitor display to run at 320x240 or at the normal resolution of the system being emulated. Next make sure the emulator is configured without scaling or unnecessary filtering.</B></font>
This is also a friendly reminder to emulator programmers, Such as SNES, to provide support for this. You might also want to make 320x240x0 the default setting in MAME. [/B]

Framerate possibly, but i can tell you that a game full screen at 320x240 in pj64 looks damned ugly. As for Zsnes i run that at 1024x768 at 60 fps with Filters (and it never slows down ever) and if they made it the default setting I can assure you less people than you think would keep that setting. :p

The smaller the picture is, the more the monitor will stretch it to fit on the screen

Last edited:
OP
R

rico001

ok funny

ok, funny

I just thought on snes emus the gfx looked a lot nicer when they weren't stretched on my computer.

I have an older comp and when I set the display to 320x240 and run the display in full screen with no hardware monitor stretching or filtering it looks normalerl.

In windowed mode it doesn't take up the full screen and when I stretch it it doesn't look normal.

N64 supports resolutions of at least 320x240 so it looks good.

the default rez supported by snes etc. is less.

Pointess, meaningless, discussion

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Re: ok funny

rico001 said:
ok, funny

I just thought on snes emus the gfx looked a lot nicer when they weren't stretched on my computer.

I have an older comp and when I set the display to 320x240 and run the display in full screen with no hardware monitor stretching or filtering it looks normalerl.

I agree with SNES/NES/GBx and other 2d graphics. It looks (imo) a lot nicer to see big unfiltered pixels. This is (imo) the opposite with N64 emulation. I prefer to play N64 roms high-res.

Well, that's it.. :sleepy:

edit: But you say you can set your monitor res. in 320x240? Not in Windows itself right?

Last edited: