What's new

pj64 help please?

:!!!:
please help im running windows mellenuim with 900mhz and a TNT 2 graphics card project 64 runs slow and the frame rates go down when i move or something on the screen moves whats wrong and how can i fix it?

returno

new card time

I think the faq states that pj64 requires a minimum of a GeForce 1 or early Radeon. I believe that the TNT2 doesn't quite match up to those. My GeForce 1 ("GeForce 256") works quite nicely with most games. These are really cheap cards. Get a GeForce 3 and you'll really be rockin. That's the best card at this point price/performance wise.

Some people with below-spec cards are happier using the Glide wrapper with evoodoo (see faq).

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
If you have a Celeron, you don't have nothing to do with PJ64, the TNT2 can handle some ROMS with PJ64 after all, but I'm already thinking about upgrading my video card, just think about yours.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Afaik, the problem does not lie within the gfx card. Its mere function in the whole is the gfx on the screen; not the speed.

supergamer

Banned
It isn't your TNT2. I had an ati Xpert 98 agp2x and I've bought a GeForce2. Almost all games are running a lot faster, only n64 games not. Excactly the same speed. The difference is the RAM and the CPU speed.

co_p3rth

Emu Lover
well, all of em had impact either u upgrade any of em, if u're in some sort of lack in cash, i think the gfx card do the most tho/or RAM :)
(since cpu is more expensive) :plain:

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
wow! this is my first post in like 4 months!. anyway.

Cpu,Graphics card, ram

thats the order of importance when it comes to pj64

1)as long as you have at least 256mb ram, thats enough (more=better of course)
2)cpu speed is very important, more so than the grpahics card.

for instance, i have found that on games like Perfect Dark. I get at the most 5-10fps performance hit MAX when going from no AA to 4x aa! and thats with a gf4 440mx.

that leads me to believe that the cpu is the most important part of the system, which is where your problem lies. (hell i cant get pd to run smoothly with my xp1800)

upgrading the cpu is really the only way to make a significant difference

Heliocentric

I have a TNT2 and it works fine (only it leaves a little to be desired when a lot is goin on on the screen). I plan to get a hauling arse AMD Athlon soon tho, with a GF4 =)

:sly::pj64::inlove:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Doomulation said:
Sorry dude, that's wrong.
It's cpu, ram, gfx.

Yes, but try running pj64 on an integrated card, compare the speed with a geforce on the same cpu, amount of ram, everything. BIG difference. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It doesn't matter.
Run pj on Athlon 1800+ with 64 or 128 mb and a geforce4 ti4600, and compare it to Athlon 1800+ with 512 mb ram and geforce2 mx. Which is faster, hm?

The second of course...but as said, intregrated video is crap and won't run well, so that's the only exception to this.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
people forget that the video plugin uses your _CPU_ for all it's emulation math. It also uses the CPU for some rendering tasks, and the worse your video card, the more it uses...

Last edited: