What's new

a huge memory!?

Binary64

I have some emulators on my disc, but why does every emulator load the rom into the memory. i have some memory
in my computer 512MB that is enough and i have no problem with
them. I do not understand, why does an emulator not loads only
the needet data of the rom, like loading a map or sound textures e.t.c
I now that is hard to find them out in all that data of a rom but a
emulator does emulate the game and he knows what code and data is, or is the rom like a com file in DOS where all the data and code is together????

;) :D ??? :n64: :daedalus: :1964: :apollo: :tr64: :nemu: :pj64: :linux:

http://binary64.staticip.de

icepir8

Binary64 said:
I have some emulators on my disc, but why does every emulator load the rom into the memory. i have some memory
in my computer 512MB that is enough and i have no problem with
them. I do not understand, why does an emulator not loads only
the needet data of the rom, like loading a map or sound textures e.t.c
I now that is hard to find them out in all that data of a rom but a
emulator does emulate the game and he knows what code and data is, or is the rom like a com file in DOS where all the data and code is together????

;) :D ??? :n64: :daedalus: :1964: :apollo: :tr64: :nemu: :pj64: :linux:

http://binary64.staticip.de

Speed!!! Speed is the issue.

Ram = Fast!
Rom = Fast!
Hardrive = Slow.
CDRom = Slowest.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Lol.
Load into memory and then emulate = fast.
Don't load into memory and emulate = slow.

Haven't you looked enuff into the computer manual? :p

supergamer

Banned
A rom is loading in memory but it's not fully extracted. At some roms (like perfect dark) you still have to wait a few seconds if you want to play at each part of the game.

crewde

supergamer said:
A rom is loading in memory but it's not fully extracted. At some roms (like perfect dark) you still have to wait a few seconds if you want to play at each part of the game.

sometimes i think u have no idea what u r talking about...

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
In Apollo, I added a feature to allow you to specify the amount of memory to use for rom loading. If you specify 4 MB maximum for rom loading, it would page in data off the HDD on demand if the page did not exist. I chose to seperate the ROM into 1 MB chunks, so 4 MB would be 4 chunks. This method worked relatively well, but it was not consistant with some games which had a lot of spread on their thread execution and the data. I found a good number was 8 MB. This feature was not added to the last Apollo. I did this mostly for CpUMasteR (Mr. LowSpec himself).