What's new

Linux port?

Lee

Since Hacktarux is part of the UltraHLE 2 team, and he is already known for his Linux and Windows emulator Mupen64, will he/the whole team port the emulator to Linux?
:linux:

0_Avenger_0

<|^Newbie Avenger^|>
I doubt greatly that UHLE will be ported to linux. Many of the functions link directly to DirectX and Windows API which is very difficult to translate over to linux APIs

Stez02k

*~ Mr. Trance ~*
u sure that DirectX is used by UltraHLE? I'm pretty sure it was glide, that should be ok to port

Stez

bjl667

C\C++
UltraHLE uses DirectX for Audio, Glide for video, but some of the emulator timing uses windows api's so I dunno if its possible, it probably will be but we'll have to wait a see. :!!!:

0_Avenger_0

<|^Newbie Avenger^|>
Stez02k said:
u sure that DirectX is used by UltraHLE? I'm pretty sure it was glide, that should be ok to port

Stez

Acutally it uses both. DirectX is a combination of a set of input, sound and grapghic API. UHLE uses DirectInput for its input, DirectSound for its sound, but doesn't use D3D (Direct3D) for its video, it uses glide for its video. So what I was saying is that it would be difficult to port it to linux beacuse you'd have to rewrite quite a bit for UHLEs source, the parts for input (which is very small) and sound (which is quite large). Also Linux uses Glide API a lot differently then the Windows Glide API.

Not to mention that you'd have to completely re-write the GUI in QT or GLADE (or some other GUI program for Linux).

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It seems pointless to make a port of uhle to linux. Firstly well, you'll have to rewrite all the i/o code as some of u have explained in this thread but it's the easier part. Then you have to rewrite all the internal memory code so that it doesn't use virtual allocation. And finally you have to rewrite all the asm code to at&t asm. It's a lot of work that would end in a total rewrite of uhle and the result won't be what you expect imo.

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
I was hoping to see a Linux Port or something but it seems difficult to do as Hacktarux has described. Total rewrite maybe required for a cross-platform approach with OpenGL and SDL support. :(

Stez02k

*~ Mr. Trance ~*
0_Avenger_0 said:
Acutally it uses both. DirectX is a combination of a set of input, sound and grapghic API. UHLE uses DirectInput for its input, DirectSound for its sound, but doesn't use D3D (Direct3D) for its video, it uses glide for its video. So what I was saying is that it would be difficult to port it to linux beacuse you'd have to rewrite quite a bit for UHLEs source, the parts for input (which is very small) and sound (which is quite large). Also Linux uses Glide API a lot differently then the Windows Glide API.

Not to mention that you'd have to completely re-write the GUI in QT or GLADE (or some other GUI program for Linux).

ah, thanx for the info, much appriciated :) and know that Hacktarux is now part of the UHLE2 Team, thats gr8 news, Keep up the good work guys :thumbsup:

Stez