What's new

Ati Radeon 9700 PRO video problems

Muskusrat

I have an Ati Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb videocard and it has some real problems with all grafic plugins. My screen looks like posted below (not good quality picture due to gif format). All games have this (some even worse). I use Jabo's Direct3D v1.5 video plugin (all other plugins where same result).

I have the grafhics Configuration set at Direct3D HAL Rendering Device and Anisotropic filtering set at 16x. Buffer display mode is triple buffer and advance option are hidden.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong cause I want to play my Nintendo 64 roms.

Stezo2k

S-2K
1. update your radeon drivers
2. use a different plugin if that doesnt work
3. use a different emu if that doesnt work
4. if that fails, get a nvidia, u cant go wrong with those babys :)

Stez

jhonnyfear

hei, i bought a new video card (geforce 2 mx 400) togay, and i´m with the exactly same problem of the gauy with the radeon, whats going on?

jhonnyfear

Hey i already know whats happening, actually i dont know whats happening but i can solve the problem, just reinstall direct x 8.1 and everything gonna work!!
I was with the same problem and know its running n64 very well.

bye!

PetzQ

Have you tried uninstalling PJ and reinstalling? The \uninstall directory has some reg-files to do the trick. Additionally, try running DxDiag in the program files\directx -folder. Check that everything is OK on the "DirectX Files" tab and try fiddling around with the properties on the "Display" tab (disable-enable-disable)

Strangely enough, the later option sometimes helps when I have issues with graphics in games... though I'm a Geoforce owner (GF4 MX 440).

Hope this helps!

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Try this, it worked on my Radeon 9700 (had some odd problems as well):

1. Uninstall PJ64, by double-clicking each 3 reg files.
2. Delete the PJ64 folder
3. Install the following drivers: http://mirror2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-r9700-6-13-10-6193-efg.exe
4. Reboot
5. Install PJ64

Now... try to run it without modifying any graphics stuff or setting any options... sounds odd, but once it runs ok it keeps running ok no matter what you change :)

OP
M

Muskusrat

Those new beta drivers for the Ati Radeon 9700 Pro did the trick. Thanks for all the help and tips people I can now play my Nintendo 64 roms again and they looks smooth with my new videocard ;)

Conker

I have The Radeon 64 DDR and he/she goes me deluxe

I have The Radeon 64 DDR and he/she goes me deluxe

with the project 64 1.5

favosys

Didin't work

Redah said:
Try this, it worked on my Radeon 9700 (had some odd problems as well):

1. Uninstall PJ64, by double-clicking each 3 reg files.
2. Delete the PJ64 folder
3. Install the following drivers: http://mirror2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-r9700-6-13-10-6193-efg.exe
4. Reboot
5. Install PJ64

Now... try to run it without modifying any graphics stuff or setting any options... sounds odd, but once it runs ok it keeps running ok no matter what you change :)

HI! Hey I changed my Geforce 2 MX400 64 Mb. (which worked pretty well) for an ATI RADEON 9700 PRO cause I read everywhere that it was the greatest thing ever. So when I first put it, it sucked. All games were slow as hell. So I updated drivers and pj64 and .... it was still slow as hell, I mean unplayable. So I came here and I read your post and followed instructions exactly and it still doesn't work, it is a little bit faster but still very slow and unplayable, all games. Any other suggestion?

The only thing is that my Win XP is in spanish but drivers installed ok.

My PC is:
P4 1.7 GHz
256 RIMM
60 Gb. HD
SB Live
DVD/CD-RW
:geek: :geek: :geek:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Re: Didin't work

favosys said:
HI! Hey I changed my Geforce 2 MX400 64 Mb. (which worked pretty well) for an ATI RADEON 9700 PRO cause I read everywhere that it was the greatest thing ever. So when I first put it, it sucked. All games were slow as hell. So I updated drivers and pj64 and .... it was still slow as hell, I mean unplayable. So I came here and I read your post and followed instructions exactly and it still doesn't work, it is a little bit faster but still very slow and unplayable, all games. Any other suggestion?

The only thing is that my Win XP is in spanish but drivers installed ok.

My PC is:
P4 1.7 GHz
256 RIMM
60 Gb. HD
SB Live
DVD/CD-RW
:geek: :geek: :geek:

That's weird... hmm... did you uninstall the nVidia drivers?

Sometimes performance is just really really bad after changing video cards, until you reformat your hard drive...

favosys

Re: Re: Didin't work

Tagrineth said:
That's weird... hmm... did you uninstall the nVidia drivers?

Sometimes performance is just really really bad after changing video cards, until you reformat your hard drive...

I uninstalled all nvidia stuff before I did anything. I don't think I can reformat, I have WinME, WinXP and Linux so formatting would be hard and long and painful, any other ideas??

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Re: Re: Re: Didin't work

favosys said:
I uninstalled all nvidia stuff before I did anything. I don't think I can reformat, I have WinME, WinXP and Linux so formatting would be hard and long and painful, any other ideas??

Hmm...

Check your AGP settings?

Also try enabling AA and AF, your performance should be incredible with them on (half the point of owning such a card).

uh typically when you have multiple OS's you tend to put them on separate partitions so formatting the windows partitions shouldn't affect the linux partitions... i say shouldn't because i've seen Win ME be told to install on one drive and then it formatted and installed on an entirely different one hence the reason I don't use it ne more

WTF? do u even know what you are talking about? the processor should be plenty fast enough for the video card, it quite possibly could be that the AGP aperture is not the correct size, and NTFS mode? I fail to see how files are allocated on a hard disk affects performance? Could possibly be not enough room for the page file? page file not large enough, etc etc...
without seeing how the computer is exactly configured you cannot assume that little things are to blame thats like saying oh no a message box popped up saying a bunch of stuff and thinking you were hacked, no someone just is being a bastard and playing with the messenger service that is available on NT based systems