What's new

XP firewall

yogaman

Banned
okay, I want to know whether the intern firewall of xp is good enough or if I need to install Norton Firewall.... Norton really eats up a lot of ressources but if xps firewall is no good I have to go for it . :eek:

iq_132

Banned
With a system like yours and mine, I wouldn't install anything that is a memory hog like Norton firewall. XP's built in one should be good enough anyway... at least for a home user.
(I don't even use one at all)

Stezo2k

S-2K
yeah but i doubt the windows one doesnt keep ms outa your computer, norton firewall 2003 works fine 4 me, doesnt hog much memory up (at least not for me) Use the windows one though, its the easiest and cheapest :)

Stez

Eagle

aka Alshain
No, the windows firewall is lacking damn near everything. It only protect outbound packets, which is usually only good for blocking yourself from stuff though it also blocks people from taking stuff off your hard drive as well, it doesnt protect them from putting stuff on it. Also it tends to block you from things you want to do and it cant easily be customized like norton. If you are on a broadband connection, you need some type of software or hardware firewall other than that provided with windows. As a matter of fact, I'd turn the Windows firewall of to avoid later problems if you have another firewall. (Control Pannel -> Network Connections, right click Local Area Network, select Advanced Tab)

Oh it does also protect Outlook, but whoop-dee-doo on that.

Eagle

aka Alshain
If you have a dial up connection, you really dont need a firewall at all, leaving it on might cause some problems, so turning it off wouldnt hurt either.

Macca

Eagle said:
If you have a dial up connection, you really dont need a firewall at all, leaving it on might cause some problems, so turning it off wouldnt hurt either.

true, i got a 56 and i've never used a firewall, or virus software for that matter, and t've never been attacked

Slougi

Eagle said:
You do if you are always on the net for a few days at a time without reconnecting, and on irc :p

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
Stezo2k said:
yeah but i doubt the windows one doesnt keep ms outa your computer, norton firewall 2003 works fine 4 me, doesnt hog much memory up (at least not for me) Use the windows one though, its the easiest and cheapest :)

Stez

didn't know that norton firewall 2003 was released yet! Is there a lot of improvement compared to NFW 2002?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Afaik, xps firewall destroys stuff such as file transfers. It's shit imo. Should never be used. I'd suggest to get a decent firewall. Zonealarm or norton personal firewall will do.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I dont really like NPF, I prefer, NIS. I'm not sure why they make the personal firewall when internet security is sooooo much better but I guess it doesnt really matter that much. Maybe its the price difference.

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
what is the difference between Personal firewall and internet security .... I had both and they seemed to be the same !

Eagle

aka Alshain
Internet Security works better with small networks. With NIS, your computers wont try to block each other. With NPF, they tend to do that even if you set up rules for each computer.