What's new

Mario Party 3 Slowdowns

Player0

Hello, I've been using PJ64 to emulate this game lately, since version 1.5 just works so much better in general than any other emulator. It seems like N64 emulation has really died out at the moment which kinda stinks cause theres so much more improvements to be done. Pj64 is definately top notch...is there any word on source code being released so someone else can take over the project? I havent been paying too much attention myself.

Anyway, I have a P4 laptop with Radeon Mobility 7500 and it runs pretty quick, been playing UT03 for the past couple weeks on it now. I use this as my 'emulator console' cause I can plug it right in to the TV and play SNES, Mame, etc. Most N64 games work good, but me and the GF like Mario Party 3, and it seems to stutter alot and choke up in certain minigames (like Spotlight Swim is reeealy slow).

Can anyone recommend some PJ64 tweaks to maybe get this game running a little better? Perhaps another emulator runs it better? I tried 1964 but the graphics are still messed up. The game runs fine on my larger desktop rigs because they are much more powerful than the laptop, but I think the laptop should beable to do this one better with a little effort. Thoughts?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
change the cf to 2 , turn off the advanced block linking, and use a less secure modifying code such as check memory advance.

OP
P

Player0

cooliscool, thanks. We try to stay on top of fastest stuff :) Doesnt help when trying to please the GF tho ;)

2bz, i tried those settings under romsettings, and I didn't notice a speed improvement at all actually.

Anything with the multicolor lights (such as spotlight swim or shyguy's game intro) goes really really slow. I imagine there is some sort of XORing going on to alpha blend the lights, maybe that has something to do with it being slow?

Any other thoughts?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
looks like those are some of the minigames that might be unplayable. I think that it is a known issue. it says that in the FAQ.

OP
P

Player0

Yeah some are goofy like Fishing, but I dont think thats the case here. They play fine on my faster PCs, just way slow on the laptop. But, maybe the slowness is an issue i guess :)

dunkel_raven

Interesting

OK, this is cool, somebody else has a similar problem. :!!!:

I too have a P4 laptop with Radeon Mobility 7500, and I'm getting some lag in Mario Kart 64 - I think it might be related to texture swapping possibly. I have a similar system with a 32MB graphics card, and the game plays just fine. I'll try out the tweaks suggested above and report back with what I find.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
the slowdowns appears in secific mini-games and can, afaik, not be solved by anything. It is not specs specific. It is something else.

You'll have to live with it.

OP
P

Player0

Well there's one sure way to solve it... buy myself a new laptop with a P4 2.8g 533mhz and a Mobility 9000 :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Player0 said:
Well there's one sure way to solve it... buy myself a new laptop with a P4 2.8g 533mhz and a Mobility 9000 :)
Err no, that won't work. It isn't about processor speed, it's something else.

OP
P

Player0

Well, im sure you're right. However, I think the faster processor 'brute-forces' it's way to making them playable.

The game runs fine on my faster desktop machines.

LaterDude

Player0 said:
Well, im sure you're right. However, I think the faster processor 'brute-forces' it's way to making them playable.

The game runs fine on my faster desktop machines.

Define 'runs fine' please. The spotlight game is just barely playable on my xp2000+. If I wait for it I can usually get by it. I would hate to see this on anything less powerful. You must have one heck of a rig.

OP
P

Player0

Runs Fine = Playable. Minor frame jumps here and there but still definately playable.

My gaming rig is very much overclocked, and is likely a good deal faster than yours.

LaterDude

Player0 said:
Runs Fine = Playable. Minor frame jumps here and there but still definately playable.

My gaming rig is very much overclocked, and is likely a good deal faster than yours.

I played through one entire game last night and on the spotlight games and the one where you catch the coins while parachuting with an umbrella the frame rate would drop down to less one. Still playable :D just have to wait for it.

I would say your processor is definately brute forcing its way through the game. Must be nice! I am sure, that with optimized video code pj64 should be able to handle these mini-games with ease. Otherwise they might need to up the requirements. hehehe 3ghz machine needed for some games.

Does say something for the power of the n64 and for how well coded the core is for pj64. You would think that the core would bomb out after several seconds of inactivity but it just kept on going until the video caught up.