What's new

Any tips for Visual Basic

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
If you tried coding in VB your code would run extreamily slowly. If you used DirectDraw, D3D or OpenGL your graphics would be unbelievably slow.

Go learn C++/C like Slougi said.

Cyberman

tbag said:
Any tips for emulating a GBA Emulator in Visual Basic besides your a bloody idiot?
Visual Basic is designed for Business Apps where performance can be poor and not be noticed. It's mostly for ease of use and 'interfacing with microsoft software' not for doing anything time critical IE emulation.

My Suggestion is to grab borlands Free C++ Builder 5.5 compilor. Then read the myriad of C++ tutorials.. START small and expand. :) Have fun too.

Don't expect to be a graphics Guru over night :)

Cyb

OP
tbag

tbag

Actually there is just replace 0x with &H for registries in VB then set items as Longs and Bytes then just set the flags and use te draw pixel library with BlitScreen :) and it will run fine example VisBoy was coded in VB and it goes like 10x the speed of normal gameboy :)

Quvack

tbag said:
Any tips for emulating a GBA Emulator in Visual Basic besides your a bloody idiot?

Awww none of you guys read or answered his question properly!

Why the hell would you wanna emulate a GBA emulator? ;)

Jsr

<a href="glossary.php?<r=r">ROFL</a>

But as they said, learn C/C++.
Its much easier to do that kind of stuff in C/C++ instead of vb.

Willow

Dont listen to them :)
Learn Delphi instead.... coding is very similar to Vb and u can use direct 3d and opengl and whatever...
There are several games that are mead with Delphi.... so give it a try

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Delphi is a good lang, i've played around with it (Borland delphi programming interface), but I donno its speed or potential. I should probably look into it :)

Quvack

i tried Delphi about 2 yrs ago I think it was, I thought it wasnt too bad, but I also dont know how powerful it is, it should be alright for emulation if Nemu 0.7a and earlier versions were written in it.

OP
tbag

tbag

Ok cool but currently looking into Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
(Visual C++ for short)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Visual c++ is very hard to learn. Especially windows programming.
When it comes to stuff that doesn't take too much computer power in emulating, then try the vb suggestion :plain:

As for delphi, the programs tends to get very big, which is a big bad thing :(

It could be easier to learn c++ if you learned the basics of programming by using a simpler language first i suppose

Jsr

Doomulation said:
Visual c++ is very hard to learn. Especially windows programming.
When it comes to stuff that doesn't take too much computer power in emulating, then try the vb suggestion :plain:

As for delphi, the programs tends to get very big, which is a big bad thing :(

It could be easier to learn c++ if you learned the basics of programming by using a simpler language first i suppose

I don't think VC++ is very hard to learn and use, it's easy to debug and it has a great help. Read a good book and you're learning it quite fast.
For windows programming do you need to know the basics of C of course, but when you start to understand it, is it not as hard as it looks like.

OP
tbag

tbag

Yep your right i always looked at C/C++ code and thought damn that looks complicated but looking at it again really its not that much different from VB well it is but you get my idea.. i think..

Anyhow i have a book on C++ which i shall look at again since last time i used it was 2-3 years ago ;)

C++ for dummies here i come lol :)

mesman00

What's that...?
i used a sams teach yourself c++ in 24 days about 1.5 yrs ago, although it took a hell of alot longer than 24 days, it was a good book, and w/ the added help of web tutorials and such you shouldn't really have a problem, as long as you have time on your sides. plus, havin a vb background helps out, i would know, cuz i started off w/ vb before c++, alot of the ideas in vb are seen in c++ as well. it's really too bad i've forgotten how to do much of anything in vb. i wanted to make a phone directory a while back, and i couldn't even remember how to use the stupid databasing that is built into the language, so i just did it in c++ as a command prompt program, cuz i don't know windows programming, even though i've said i'm gonna pick it up a thousand times. oh well, maybe over christmas break when i have nothing else to do.