What's new

Input Needed

Duncan

N64 Addict
As im sure alot of you now know, Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5 seems to be the cause of alot of "pauses" (momentary freeze) with some games, and not the actual core emulation. Im almost ready to release v2.0 of my PJ64.Rdb, but id like to add a (use Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40) to the games that people are having the "pause" problem, as Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40 corrects this problem.

Bositman and 64ultramaniac were the first 2 on the forum to also figure this out (good work), but what id like to get is a list of games that people find have the "pause" problem, so if you can list any games that this happens to and they will be tested and added into the Rdb. Thanks to the peeps here on the forum for the great info and to the PJ team for the great release :)

CRi{]v[}iNaL

mario kart and extreme g are the first ones that come to my mind. they pause for 5-10 seconds at least and about 3 times early in the game then not at all later. banjo-kazooie is actually better then before(less jerkiness)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
i too experience this problem, the culprit is the Jabo 1.5 gfx and pj64 1.5 combo. However, i find that if i use Jabo's 1.5 gfx with pj64 1.5 beta1, the problem also goes away. So i dont think its Jabo's new gfx plugin's fault. Could someone verify this? (just try new plugin with pj64 1.5beta1)

OP
Duncan

Duncan

N64 Addict
I dont have the beta installed, but im still impartial to users switching plugins rather than versions of PJ (from the rdb point of view), easier and other benefits of using v1.5 final :)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Duncan said:
I dont have the beta installed, but im still impartial to users switching plugins rather than versions of PJ (from the rdb point of view), easier and other benefits of using v1.5 final :)

well, you can also try pj64 1.4, theres not a lot of core changes between 1.4 and 1.5beta1 afaik. i brought this up because if the problem is not purely jabo's plugin's fault, than its important that we find out what the real problem is.

but if you insist, ill try to test all my games.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Duncan said:
As im sure alot of you now know, Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5 seems to be the cause of alot of "pauses" (momentary freeze) with some games, and not the actual core emulation

but id like to add a (use Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40) to the games that people are having the "pause" problem, as Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40 corrects this problem.

pj64er said:
i too experience this problem, the culprit is the Jabo 1.5 gfx and pj64 1.5 combo. However, i find that if i use Jabo's 1.5 gfx with pj64 1.5 beta1, the problem also goes away. So i dont think its Jabo's new gfx plugin's fault. Could someone verify this? (just try new plugin with pj64 1.5beta1)

Duncan said:

Erm.. Duncan 1st off,
you had better chase up what pj64er said there as you are so sure it is a Jabo Plugin problem.

If he says it don't happen on b1 then get others to back that up, or dismiss it.

then you know for sure if it is Plugin Or Core related.

Also dont forget the b1 has a RSP 1.4 where the 1.5 final has a RSP 1.5 pj64er.
Did you change that to the b1 with the Plugin ?

Jabo

Emulator Developer
any pausing is probably due to a combination of texture cache cleaning & core, I noticed it in a few games when I actually had the chance to play ridge racer 64 for a few minutes, it's certainly nothing I worried about, it was so minor it doens't matter, but in other games with heavy texture usage it might make a slightly larger hang during transitions from menus to a 3D scene, but after that there shouldn't be anything at all

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
The Gentleman said:
Also dont forget the b1 has a RSP 1.4 where the 1.5 final has a RSP 1.5 pj64er.
Did you change that to the b1 with the Plugin ?

no, all my n64 emus share the same plugin folder. That means that my beta1 uses the exact same rsp plugin as my final.

OP
Duncan

Duncan

N64 Addict
Gent: was thinkin the same thing and i get the same with 1.4 and also tried it with the latest build of 1964 and got the same result, same pauses in the same games, but would like to see if it happens to others (confirm), but its not a core prob.

Jabo is correct as its mostly with games that have heavy texture usage and probably worse for those with less than spec machines, which might be the cause. The pauses dont seem to be real big with the exception of a few games where its noticable even with my specs (ExtremeG, Blast Corps, etc.).

Allnatural

I was playing Extreme-G just now, and I can confirm the frequent 2-5 second pause during races. This was using Jabo's 1.5 plugin on PJ64 1.5, PJ64 1.4, and 1964 0.8.3c, the result was the same. Mario Kart and Extreme-G 2 also had some pauses (though less frequent) using Jabo's 1.5 plugin on 1964.

ShadowFX

Guardian
Jabo said:
any pausing is probably due to a combination of texture cache cleaning & core, I noticed it in a few games when I actually had the chance to play ridge racer 64 for a few minutes, it's certainly nothing I worried about, it was so minor it doens't matter, but in other games with heavy texture usage it might make a slightly larger hang during transitions from menus to a 3D scene, but after that there shouldn't be anything at all

So that means KI Gold has severe slowdown problems cuz of its heavy texture usage (??). So that means my system is still too slow because of its P4 usage, :) ? I'm getting a little confused. Also, Mario Kart 64 and Extreme G give me lots of slowdown issues. The Zelda games on the other hand, gives me little to no problems at all.

I've tried using PJ64 v1.5b, but when using the new 1.5 plugin there just gives me error messages at some points in some games. It's all confusing. :cry:

bositman

Emulord: KI Gold is very different from all the other n64 games(textures,gfx etc) making it very hard to emulate properly,thats why its slow and maybe because of your P4

I just wonder if anyone reads the "feedback thread for 1.5 final thread" (besides Duncan,Emu-Lord and of course bositman:) ).Sorry if this sounds a little harsh but I can't hide my surprise for the answers you've got from ppl Duncan in very short time when we struggling to get some feedback from ppl five days now.Because in my life I've learned to always say the truth and not hiding anything (I thing that is what really makes ppl respect you),this is what I want to do now too.In my opinion the only real problem of Project64 1.5 is this exactly problem that you all talking it about now.These "pauses" that are caused by the 1.5 video plugin (ppl should not confuse them with the pauses that are caused by the core like in the Super Smash Bros).And why is that?Because the "pauses" that are caused by the 1.5 video plugin are the reason for the freezes and general instability in the emulator,something that whoever is using Project64 from his 1.0 version knows that this is very uncharacteristic for the emulator and is certainly surprised exactly for this reason.He knows until now for the great stability of this emulator.This conclusion has come of course under very careful testing.These things are already present in the feedback thread but since some don't want or don't like or don't care or don't have the time to read it (it's their right:) )I would like to post some of them here:The pauses that are caused by the video plugin many times can cause emulator to freeze if you end emulation or reset it when such a pause occurs.Also they can cause a freeze anyway if the game is affected by them (example Starfox64).Again I would like to say that these freezes are during a game (not menu transitions:) )That said,ppl must understand that when you make some major changes in your code then it is absolutely natural that some things will break.Now since the solution for this problem is easy and effective (only 2-3 mouse clicks to change the video plugin:) )then there is no reason to worry about:) So the conclusion is that for the games that are affected you just have to use another Jabo's great plugin,the 1.4.Now you would ask:How would I know which games are affected from pauses caused by the video plugin and not the core?Well this is the reason why we 're trying to found them in the "feedback thread":) We've already found some games there that are confirmed so if you want to look that would be nice:) Also that is a nice try there by Duncan,he would put them in his rdb so you can read them easily:) Conclusion of the whole situation: Project64 1.5 release was absolutely great,big and nice additions/changes in the core:) ,another great plugin from the magic hands of Jabo (for me the absolute master in the N64's gfx plugins).The only real problem as I said was this (and with an easy solution),some other mentioned are really very minor and maybe not worthwhile to be mentioned:).So if you thing about the great new things that you're getting with this release (very few of them are Tooie for first time,Winback looks great now,Wipeout menus,Perfect Dark goodies:) and many many other things:) )then this is another big achievement by the Project64 team.

syon

I experience frecuent pauses with the following games; Excitebike 64, Mariokart 64, and Rampage - Universal Tour.

I'm not sure if PJ64 1.5 is able to emulate Starwars - Rogue Squadron properly. Letters "flicker" and screens hangs after the "N" logo shows (see screenshot) music still plays in the background however.

screenshot.jpg

Other than that, PJ64 1.5 is the best N64 emulator (near perfect) available. Congrats to the PJ64 dev team.

Last edited:

iq_132

Banned
I get pauses in Banjo tooie... my specs suck, but it gets up to like 230 fps, then it drops to zero, waits like 3 seconds, then jumps back to like 230... i can't even play it with jabo's 1.5