What's new

so what's up?

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I know it's kinda odd, but I would like to hear how the beta testing is going. Are you still looking at RC's or has it dropped back to normal beta? If it's still on RC's what RC are you at? Last I saw it was RC4.

Thanks for all the awesome work Schibo, and the rest of the dev and testing team.

--Karth

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
Cool. I was worried when the beta testers kind of silenced... Mostly that someone had REALLY pissed schibo or rice off. thanks lasly.

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I'm missing something. What is it you want me to look at? I was asking how things were going. I wasn't asking when it will be out, I wasn't asking for roms, and I wasn't asking stupid questions, I've already done that. So, what am I missing here? Is asking how things are going taboo too?
--Karth

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
And as I said before, I just asked how far the testing has progressed. I've done software testing and betas before, and I know that there is no such thing as a release date, unless some manager somewhere decides the product has to leave the door on some specific day, in which case, it turns out buggy. I know the authors are working hard, and I know it takes time. is it so unfeeling to ask how things are going? seems like I'm just wondering how the project is progressing. If I'm stepping on someone's toes, I'll shut up, but here's the deal: What's the message board for? if we aren't gonna ask questions, see how things are going, and talk about the emulator, what's the point? You want there to be no new posts in the forum for a week? ok. No newbies ask questions, and nobody ever ask anything about betas. Otherwise, you get threads like "Love 1964?" which I don't mind, but it gets a little old.
If you would rather I PM and bug a beta tester in the middle of testing, I won't, because having done software testing, I would rather not have someone hit me up in the middle of my testing, I'd rather be able to, at my leisure, or not at all, decide to answer thier question.
That make sense, or am I completly wrong for this place?
--Karth

schibo

Emulator Developer
Karth,

Your point is very well stated and quite frankly, I agree with you. I'm not quite sure where all these extra silly rules come from. What I do agree with is the following: If there are technical questions that are asked repeatedly, users should refer to a FAQ first. This should be done as a courtesy to those who are actually helpful on the boards, so as to save them the time from repeating the same answers over and over. The only other rule which makes sense to me is no ROM requests. This is an important issue because we all want the messageboards to not be taken from us.

But beyond that, as I see it, this messageboard should serve as a general discussion forum for 1964. If people have to worry about what to say or do, then..exactly..what's the point? Also, how in the world would I or anyone else on the 1964 team be able to get the pulse of what users are really thinking if they are censored or if they feel that they will be yelled at for asking a simple question? General questions are not a waste of our time. I know that if I don't have time, I won't go to the messageboards. Simple.

Anyway, to answer your original question... we're not sure when the release will be, but feedback has been positive regarding stability. Also, there's still a few items on my to-do list.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
schibo, last time i remember, this forum is yours and Rices. Rules (of course, other than the rom request one) in this forum is still up to you. If you dont like the generally accepted rules of this board, define your own.

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
Well, I really wasn't asking about a release date. They are an Evil, Spawned by people who believe that you can program to a deadline. Having one in your mind is ok, it's when you tell other people that release dates cause problems. Having done testing, I can generalize from the RC data how the stability is going. Say RC 1 is in testing for 2 days, a showstopper is found, and RC2 is released. if RC 3 is in testing for 4 days, then stability has increased, and hopefully that means a closer release. If RC8 has been in testing for a week, then it's fairly stable and that (logically) means that a release is getting closer. However, even if programming is about logic, it doesn't always work that way. Thanks for the info, though. Glad to hear things are going well.

As to the rules and regs, I think that not asking about roms is definatly a good rule. Checking the FAQ is always good, especially in a situation where there are probably multiple solutions to a problem, and many of them depend on your hardware or lack of. With all the new Emu's and Plugins coming out in the next few months, I'm sure that it'll get easier, but it's still a pain to make sure that every game runs the best on my machine. A combo of 1964 and PJ seems to do me fine, and I'm sure it will just get better.
I guess the only thing that bugs me is telling everyone not to ask so many questions. I work in tech support, and I can tell you that no matter how well you answer it on your webpage and in the faq, the world will come up with a better idiot.
Anyway, gonna go to bed before I shoot my mouth off any more.
'night.
--Karth

:bunny:

Last edited: