What's new

GeForce4 TI AGP PCI Puzzle

demon

xbox is shit
I have recently installed a GeForce4 TI4200 128MB card. I installed all the correct drivers that came with the card according to the instructions I got.

The problem is that when I look into the properties pannel for the card it says the card is APG (which it is), but it says it is running in PCI mode. Is this normal what should appear? Or have I to change something somewhere to get it into full AGP mode? I am not too sure if this is supposed to be normal and nothing is wrong and the card is runing in full AGP mode.

I have looked in the BIOS and the computer is set to display in AGP mode with 4X.

I have attached 2 screen shots to show what I mean. The first screen shot is in the properties menu saying the bus type is AGP and in brackets it says PCI mode. And the second is in one of the WinFox utility menus. Where it says 'AGP Status and Command' In a check box where it says 'AGP Enabled' it isnt checked and I can't check it with my mouse. I have ringed these 2 areas to show you.

I would be very appeaciative of any help on this subject. Thanks

{Mike}

Trotterwatch

Make sure you have the 4-1 drivers installed if you have Via Chipset.

Also ensure that your 'AGP' Aperture size in the BIOS is not 4mb or under, as this will in effect force your card into PCI mode.

OP
demon

demon

xbox is shit
4-1 drivers? Do you mean the Bios version number? In that first screen shot it says I have version 4.26 BIOS driver version.

Also I think the aperture size is either 64 or 128 too.

Trotterwatch

4-1 drivers, you have a Via chipset don't you - well it says you have in the screenshot you posted, so I will take that as a given.

You should download the 4-1 drivers from, www.viahardware.com (get the latest non-beta) and install them, ensure you install the AGP driver in Turbo mode, should you be given the choice.

If you are using one of the Win9x series of OSs (95,98,ME) then you will definately need the 4-1 drivers. If you use XP, then you don't need them as much, but updating them still won't hurt.

OP
demon

demon

xbox is shit
Also I got this screen shot of another property menu. In the circled area where it says AGP status it says it's disabled. Take a look.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yup thats a Bios setting, if you go to your bios you can set the AGP multiplier to 1X 2X or 4X, if your mobo supports it, go for 4X definately.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
demon, is that the gf4ti4200 that has the HUGE heatsink...cos thats the one im hopefully gonna get.

Ledtek offer the nforce and Winfast A250 LE VT for £150 inc Vat... im almost definitely gonna go for that. how's it for overclocking?

OP
demon

demon

xbox is shit
Yes it's the GeForce4 TI4200 from Leadtek that has the huge ass heat sinc and metal fan that covers the memory chips. It's a sweet ass card and runs games really smoothly a hell of a lot better than my GeForce 2 MX card. It runs mohaa really good with all the detail on full smoothly (Even with a 650MHz Duron). If I can get it into APG mode it should run a hell of a lot better. Oh and I paid £144 for it on www.ebuyer.com I think it's around £140 now.

The APG multiplyer is set at 4X on my mobo, it always has done. I havent a clue on why it's still in PCI mode. I have installed the 4-in-1 drivers and that had no luck. Also I am using WinXP.