What's new

Fur Flung Graphics (NVidia and what they plan)

Cyberman

Well yet another interesting article on what people are planning for new graphics cards, an interesting link to a demo on NVidia's site here. To see what I'm talking about, note the demo sadly requires a fast internet connection.

The article mentions that MicroSoft made a Bunny (hmmm) fuzzy that was a little less complex. In any case, it looks like artists are going to be needed more to use this ability on newer cards. I suppose the classic game programer is becoming less and less mainstream these days and the people who create "content" are becoming more important. My real question is, fine they can make better looking graphics, but will the game be as fun to play? NWN is pretty fun, so in that case yes. But a lot of the new games for the PS2 (and the PS1 like FF9) to be blunt, stink, sure they have wonderful graphics, but they seem to lack something, like thoughtful and truely funny things in it (like FF8's and Rinoa's train model). I've only bought 2 games for the PS2 compared to the 20 I have for the PSX (and I bought those fairly quickly after getting it). What gives? Sure great looking graphics is nice, but does it make the game enjoyable? I'm wondering if the industry is sacrificing creativity for glitz (See Holly wood's use of CGI).

What do you think?

Cyb

PS
Please don't call this spam that anoys me, since I actually THINK about what I post before I do (IE does it interest anyone more than just me).

blizz

actually this belongs more in the gaming forum, since it's a gaming design question :p

but yeah, I do think it is an interesting problem, games like OOT and Mario64 despite their dated graphics (which look worse now than some 2D graphics do on the GBA) still play great, definately some games are style over game content though (Rez, FF9, FFX) however others like ICO and the new Zelda both contain a style and do offer gameplay too, conversely I think some games take the piss with the "retro" style especially DragonQuest7 (although that could me more a testament to it's crazy (or even stupid) dev time.

I guess it's more a case of using the right graphics for the game, for example Alundra fitted the 2D style wonderfully (great concept, crap ending btw) whereas some games like SFEX+Alpha were just 2D games with 3D characters, the same applies to cel shading (should never ever ever be used for a racer), the new Zelda game seems like good silly fun so it suits a cel shaded style (if it had an OOT style plot it wouldn't however)

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

blizz said:
actually this belongs more in the gaming forum, since it's a gaming design question :p

but yeah, I do think it is an interesting problem, games like OOT and Mario64 despite their dated graphics (which look worse now than some 2D graphics do on the GBA) still play great, definately some games are style over game content though (Rez, FF9, FFX) however others like ICO and the new Zelda both contain a style and do offer gameplay too, conversely I think some games take the piss with the "retro" style especially DragonQuest7 (although that could me more a testament to it's crazy (or even stupid) dev time.

I guess it's more a case of using the right graphics for the game, for example Alundra fitted the 2D style wonderfully (great concept, crap ending btw) whereas some games like SFEX+Alpha were just 2D games with 3D characters, the same applies to cel shading (should never ever ever be used for a racer), the new Zelda game seems like good silly fun so it suits a cel shaded style (if it had an OOT style plot it wouldn't however)

DW7 didn't go over well did it? I've played it, it's actually a pretty cool game but I think they messed it up with delays in production and some pretty primitive interfaces. Persona 2 was the same thing. I've played Alundra 2.. that's a pretty fun game it's all 3d though.

I think Sony is going to discontinue the PS One soon because all the games are now greatest hits and the consoles are on sale for $50 ;) I would like to get a hold of a few classic PSX games still.

I don't need a great 3d looking game to be honest, I like games that are fun to play, I still play FF6 on SNES9x :)

Cyb