What's new

GF4 4600 or Radeon 8800?

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
ATI has a few good things going for them to beat nVidia, but the Radeon 8500 lags behind the GF4 Ti4600 in almost all benchmarks.

Also, the Radeon 8800 is prly still a development card. I have definately never heard of it. Too bad the 8500 MAXX was a fake... :(

And yes, ATI has... erm... not-so-nice drivers. Although the Detonators seem to slowly be going downhill as well...

Josep

eyerun4phun
anyone check out the new drivers on guru3d.com? i think they are at 30.30, correct me if i'm wrong;) Haven't tried 'em yet, supposedly worked wonders for some people;)

gokuss4

Meh...
looks like the radeon 8800 is gonna beta the gf4 ti4600 as far as performance, but the matrox parhelia still beats them all ;).

Trotterwatch

looks like the radeon 8800 is gonna beta the gf4 ti4600 as far as performance, but the matrox parhelia still beats them all

Matrox? I take it you haven't read any of the reviews of the Parhelia? Mighty fine card that it is, it isn't intended for gamers, and thus gets beaten in {virtually} every benchmark by the GF4 Ti4600.

gokuss4

Meh...
thats for the 128mb version, the 256mb version is intended for gamers ;) its coming out this fall. plus the parhelia is for gamers. they even said so on matrox

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
My major issue with ATI is their drivers. They have a history of driver compatibility issues dating way back to the early dos days, and still give similar problems today (I also hate the fact that their worse quality drivers take MORE of a system memory/cpu footprint than any other manufacturer).

Not only that, but ATI is also much quicker to drop support for older cards. Nvidia's detonator drivers are nice, they still support and optimize cards that are 5-6 years old, and all of their cards use the same set of drivers.

My other lighter issue with ATI is that as a whole they are pretty deceptive.

Until ATI corrects those issues, I personaly wont buy a single one of their cards, I have had way to many throughout the years that end up nothing more than big dissapointments.

Ill give a fair look at ATI with their new dual GPU coming in the distant future, but only if they can prove in some ways that their drivers aren't going to be flawed, and that the third party measured benchmarks show that for once they aren't stretching the truth. (which I've yet to see either from them)

EDIT: One thing I might add, so far as matrox, their drivers are decent, they have good cards for graphics professionals, but for games, their support has been pretty terrible. Quite honestly I think the 3 monitor thing in the parhelia is more of a gimmick, much like the external power source that the voodoo 6 was supposed to have. (I dunno how but they actualy fooled a lot of consumers into thinking that because it had an external power source it was more "powerful". Heh I remember arguing in #3dfx about how stupid that is, and the retards insisted that all future cards from all mfrs are going to need an outside power source, yet we have much better cards today that aren't even near needing that)

Last edited:

Siggie

Isn't the 8800 going to be a souped up version of the 8500??
The 9700 is going to be a rival for the Ti6400.
And about Matrox. They never intended to compete with Nvidia. Their cards are targeted at the bussines people. 256MB instead of 128MB isn't gonna change a damn thing. The 64 nvidia cards compared to the 128 MB cards don't even have that big difference. Only a couple of percents (bout 4 or 5 or so). But competition in the graphics card industry is good. Hope ATI will release stable good functioning drivers with the new cards coming out (juli 17th afaik)

Just my €0,02