What's new

Monitors

Josep

eyerun4phun
thats cool it goes up to 1600x1200 at a 17inch moniter, allot of sony ones can do that from what i've seen;) BUT downside, .24ppm as i think i read it correctly, its nice and all, but me: .20ppm;) viewsonic

Martin

Administrator
I would really recommend a 19" monitor, they're not that expensive anymore. Brand? Well, Sony's are nice but quite expensive.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Samsung's SyncMaster series is good. I have a SyncMaster 753DF and its great. (Its old now, but good)

Josep

eyerun4phun
well, think of it this way, are you a man that looks for quality or quantity in a woman?;) i think that should say enough for itself;) me personally quality;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Josep said:
well, think of it this way, are you a man that looks for quality or quantity in a woman?;) i think that should say enough for itself;) me personally quality;)

Yeah thats nice, but ummm what does it have to do with monitors?

Josep

eyerun4phun
quantity: size, like 17 inch, 19inch
quality: .20ppm .25 ppm

kinda the same with my anaology;)

OP
blizz

blizz

I'd like a 19" monitor but I just don't have the space, and I'd really like a flat screen but for the price of a decent flatscreen I can buy a new PC ;)

so basically it's a 17" but I think it has to be a good quality product because this monitor is going to be used for a long time

how about thisDiamond Pro 740SB

it's £175 on Dabs.com (significantly cheaper :D )

Eagle

aka Alshain
Nah, if your going to get a CRT, you might as well get a 19". This is just a reccomendation, but I'd only go lower if your getting a Flat Pannel (Not Flat Screen). If you get a flat tube (screen) like the one you have there then if you can afford it, get a 19". Especially if this monitor is going to have to last a while. Granted its a little more expensive but it will be well worth it.

I didnt realize Mitsubishi and NEC were in business together, but NEC makes awesome monitors. I have no idea about Mitsubishi.

This one looks good.
http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/corem...cts/CRT-MS95F/CRT-MS95F,spec=_3F__uk__en.html

But like I said, this is if you can possible afford it.

OP
blizz

blizz

yeah that's a nice display, I'd love a 19" but the space is the main problem, it just won't fit on the shelf on my desk with my speakers as well.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
ok, does anyone know if a monitor can leak, cos mine has gone weird. in one corner of the monitor, there is a sorta greenish splodge on the display, and anything that it covers has fucked up colours. its barely visible (although u can see fucked up colours in one area of the screen), but when u sit back u can see that it is a sorta greenish splodge. any ideas? thx in advance.

OP
blizz

blizz

I doubt it's really a leak (unless it's an LCD) more likely there's a strong magnetic source playing with the electron stream but also has that area of the monitor taken a hard knock? that could damage the phosphor

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, like blizz said, its most likely a magnetic problem. I'm willing t bet you have a magnet too close to your monitor, probably your using speakers that are not magnetically shielded. You have to be carefull to use computer speakers for your computer (or just keep them away from disks and monitors). Normal stereo system speakers have powerfull magnets and are not specially shielded like computer speakers. A good way to tell is pick up the speaker and move it close to the middle of your screen for a short time (too long will damage it more) If you see the same discoloration, then the magnetic field is too powerfull and you need to keep the speakers far from the monitor, or get new speakers.

Fixing the problem can be easy depending on the monitor. Most new monitors have a built-in "degauss" option in the settings directly on the monitor. Use it. For older monitors you need a magnetic video tape eraser to degauss. Most hardware stores can do this and some won't even charge you since it takes like 10 seconds to do.

OP
blizz

blizz

most monitors need to be degausse every so often too, prely because of local magnetic fields that can be induced by your electric cables etc....

sk8bloke22

roll for life
weird, its fixed after a clean reboot of xp. dunno wat happened there, but it definitely made the screen look shitty.

i got my iilyama 19inch from ccl for £176 and im absolutley in love with it, best thing i ever bought, cept my pc... heh

Eagle

aka Alshain
blizz said:
most monitors need to be degausse every so often too, prely because of local magnetic fields that can be induced by your electric cables etc....

Actually most monitors need to be degaussed every so often because of the earths magnetic polls, but it can usually go for a couple of years before it needs it.