What's new

"Adaptoid" Buy or not !?

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
It basically allows you to plug your N64 controller into any USB port. I haven't tried it myself, but everyone who has says its great. Also, it works with any game that supports DirectInput, not just N64 emulators.

HostLink

Piss off with the adaptoid!! I made the adapter circuit myself, and it works great. But this adapter u have to connect it to the Parallel port.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I say, with a little knowledge and skill, you don't need one. A gamepad works just as well.
At similar points, you might need to change some settings, and for that you should have N-Rage.
Believe me, it works for me--I've never buyed an adaptoid.

Corak

Nintendo gamer
Buy of course (but STAY AWAY form ZD-store)

I have 2 of these already and I can recommend them to anyone.
Especially now that the price was cut by 5 bucks.

If you are tired by junk PC Gamepads this is the only way to go IMHO.
Sure there are other not too shabby cheaper alternatives but they are all inferior. If you want the best there is no way around the Adaptoid. I usually don't settle for inferior stuff. :D

The original N64 controller was one of the best gamepads to ever grace earth. It's layout, comfort and precision is umatched IMHO.
Yes there are also other adapters competing with the Adaptoid but only the Adaptoid does justice to the controller.
The Adaptoid is supported by basically all plugin-authors and has a real precise USB-HID interface.

Playing Mario64 with a real N64 controller is simply so much more fun.
The Adaptoid also supports rumble packs (important for Zelda) and all other controller packs. It has scripting support, customizable button-mapping and even supports Force-Feedback (didn't test this yet though, can't think of any PC games with FF I own currently).

It of course works fine as a standard PC Gamepad. Spiderman - The Movie (PC) works great with it for example.

No I'm not payed by wishtech for saying this. But I'm just so happy with this product after such a long search for a perfect PC gamepad I feel the need to share this.
I won't have to consider a new PC gamepad for a long time. Well until Wishtech releases an Adaptoid-GCN. (hint, hint)

It gets harder and harder however to obtain new original N64 controllers. I recently tried to buy a second one and couldn't get it locally anymore. I had to order it from one of the official mail distributors named by Nintendo (Germany). Nintendo themselves told me they have not much left in stock.

If you decide to order an Adaptoid and you are in Europe order using ukadaptoids.cjb.net. They rock! Very nice and blazing fast delivery.

WARNING

Don't EVER (no matter where you live) order ANYTHING from ZD-store (Zophar, owned by Sam Michaels)!

This is the shittiest online store I have ever encountered. I can honestly not understand why Wishtech is still listing ZD-Store as an official distributor.
I ordered an Adaptoid there on 5/12 and it's still not even dispatched! They did list it as being in stock back then although this was NOT the case.
As stated I already have 2 and don't need a 3rd one but every email send in an attempt to cancel the ZD-order has been in vain and went unanswered. I just re-checked my order status. They received my funds (credit card) and are still waiting for the goods. What a f*cking joke!

Last edited:

Zoomer

If there is one PC Gamepad to use it is the Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power. The Layout is exactly like the PlayStation only with much better rumble and 2 extra buttons (triggers). Amazing pad, simply the best.
But, although a ssweet pad, I believe I'm going to buy an Adaptoid, just cause. Where is the best place to order?

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
HostLink said:
Piss off with the adaptoid!! I made the adapter circuit myself, and it works great. But this adapter u have to connect it to the Parallel port.

But you got to look at the trouble you had to go thru to find all the components, making the cuircut board, slodering it and making it run on your comp... fuck that... Besides, Parallel is slower than USB..