What's new

the console wars - the sales

blizz

Credit Suisse First Boston (CSFB) reported that during the launch week (November 18 - 24) of both Microsoft XBox and Nintendo GameCube. Nintendo has sold approximate 469,000 units of GameCube, not the 700,000 units Nintendo stated. Microsoft on the other hand has sold 186,000 units of XBox, and a total of 556,000 units were shipped to retailers in the week.

- CSFB stated that the over 810,000 software units for PlayStation 2 were sold in the period of November 18 - 24, 83% higher than previous weeks. Nintendo's most popular GameCube title is Luigi Mansion, which has sold over 257,000 units. Microsoft's best selling title is Halo, sold 97,000 units.

- For the software to hardware sales ratio, XBox is taking the lead with a ratio of 2.4 (2.4 units of software per system sold), while GameCube and PlayStation 2 following with a ratio of 1.9

this is probably more realistic, but I'm not sure, anyway, smart people will realise that Nintendo are in a better position than M$ also note that the X-Box only walks away with a higher ratio because of retailers being "forced" into selling pre compiled sets

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
heh, more luigi mansions were sold than xboxes.

"little kids" seem to hav a lot of money!

zeus

pj64er said:
heh, more luigi mansions were sold than xboxes.

"little kids" seem to hav a lot of money!

You´re missing an important point here, very, very few systems are actually bought by kids. They are bought for kids by parents whom are probaly thinking cheap vs. expensive, of course they will choose the cheap one and get one or two games for it instead of buying the expensive one w/ games. Most parents probaly doesn´t have any clue about the differences between the consoles, but what it all comes down to is what people recognise when shopping for christmas presents, my guess is that they are very familiar with plumbers and hedgehogs...

And as I said earlier those numbers can be modified to suit your needs. If you like the x-box you´re probaly thinking that the x-box sold more units then gc and vice versa. This christmas the dc, gc and ps2 will be the winners. They are all cheaper then the others and are well known, most parents buying a ps2 for their kids probaly has a ps or a nes, snes, n64, sms or megadrive at home.

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
i absolutely agree with u zeus, nintendo's cheaper price strategy seems to be paying off. I just found the stats sorta weird cause I thought Luigi wasnt a great game.

OP
blizz

blizz

Huanjun Ji said:
Wusup blizz, remember me?

you're back, cool :)

you see I think these figures make more sense, than the ones any company gives out, you ship all of these models but the models you ship are going to end up stuck in transport and in warehouses before they reach the stores

zeus

Actually all companys base their numbers from stats from CSFB, that´s why they are accurate and that´s why they have to moderate it. The xbox was released an week before the gc and should therefore have more units sold. But when Nintendo say that gc is the fastest selling system ever, they are comparing it to the first week sales for other consoles.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
"The Xbox video game system from Microsoft had the best-selling video game console launch on record after two weeks of sales, according to The NPD Group Inc., the definitive source for sales and market data on the video game industry.

"The data clearly show that Xbox is off to a torrid start," said Robbie Bach, chief Xbox officer at Microsoft. "Xbox sold out as soon as we launched, and we're selling systems as fast as we can produce them. More than 100,000 units a week are being delivered to retailers, so game players are likely to find Xbox systems throughout the holiday season. With one of the best launch lineups ever, I understand why Xbox is the most sought-after gift for the holiday."

Most importantly, Xbox purchasers can't get enough of the Xbox launch games. According to The NPD Group, gamers are buying 2.4 Xbox games with every Xbox, resulting in the highest game attach rate ever recorded for a console at launch. Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. sold 1.9 games with every PlayStation 2 during the first two weeks of its launch last year, and Nintendo Company Ltd. has sold 1.9 games with every GameCube to date.

Microsoft's Halo was the best-selling launch title according to actual NPD data, beating Luigi's Mansion, the top-selling GameCube game. Halo, the critically acclaimed sci-fi action game, also recently received a 10 out of 10 rating from the editors at Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine. Sales are also very strong for Microsoft's Project Gotham Racing, NFL Fever 2002, and third-party games such as Dead or Alive 3 from Tecmo, Madden NFL 2002 from Electronic Arts and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x from Activision.

"There's no doubt that Xbox has some of the most popular games for the holiday," said Ed Fries, vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. "Whether you crave action, sports, racing or fighting games, Xbox has killer games in every category." "

Quoted from 3Dspotlight.com, that quoted it from Gamespy...

OP
blizz

blizz

well bollocks, I say we burn the marketing departments of Nintendo, M$ and Sony to the ground and start again ;)

Cyberman

well bollocks, I say we burn the marketing departments of Nintendo, M$ and Sony to the ground and start again

Well.. I bought a PS2 .. but in either case.. you can quote any number of different sources that will conflict with any other source. The real identifyer is people buying games Versus people buying consoles for Christmas. People who buy games and consoles are a better indicator. IE they bought an Xbox with two games. Than someone who just bought an Xbox.

BTW my Ps2 browser interface is goofy but it works fairly well. all my PSX games work on it ;)

Cyb

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
I'd say as a general rule, don't just any sales info for the next month for so. Everywhere I go some stats contradict others.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
not really, each company tells u only their good stats. One company sold the most at launch date, one the most in the first week and one the most corrently.

try to guess which ones which!:alien:

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
pj64er said:
not really, each company tells u only their good stats. One company sold the most at launch date, one the most in the first week and one the most corrently.

try to guess which ones which!:alien:

I don't think you can actually know which one sold more at launch and which one sold more in the first week at the moment.