What's new

people with fast PCs (about ABL)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
make sure you have turned Advanced Block Linking OFF under the general Options tab (not under ROM Settings tab, leave that alone). Not only is it smoother with it off, it's actually faster in some cases I just noticed (just try Zelda with Protect Memory)... I put a note about this with the RDB update (that was before i knew about the speed thing) but for anyone else... there's a tip... you could get 5-20FPS more at a rough estimate.

Josep

eyerun4phun
people have fast pc's that run games under 60fps? anything over 60fps is pretty much pointless emulation wise right? hehe just a question cause no one else is replying;)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i just wanted to affirm the wonders of keeping [Not So ;)] Advanced Block Linking off... since it's (A) not the default setting and (B) sounds good...

I'll postulate (C) that most people... have it on! :)

/me makes note for Witten - default ABL to Off in future releases, considering PCs are of course getting on average faster...

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Basically, any machine that isn't having trouble pulling 60FPS. The effects do vary from game to game, so any time this hasn't been forced for the game (ROM Settings says "use general setting" "use global" or whatever you can set it there just for that game.

What I was really getting at here was Zelda seems to run pretty well with Protect Memory and ABL Off, if you have about 1.2Ghz+ you should play it that way, it could be more stable. Also might be worth turning Larger Compile Buffer On with Protect Memory. I'll put some notes about this in the gameFAQ.

nudetothis

I'll be checing out my settings when I get home this evening. Thanks for the tip.

As for Josep's question and whether a fast computer runs everything at 60fps, the answer is no. At least not on mine. I have a Athlon 1700+, 512mb DDR, GeForce 4 Ti4400 system built on an Epox 8KHA+ mobo. It's not the fastest possible anymore, but its still a quick one. The computer functions great and most games run at 60fps. However there are a couple games which do not. For example, Beetle Adventure Racing and Ridge Racer. Both of these games run at about 44fps.

Perhaps changing these settings will improve the few I have that dont fly at 60fps. Thanks again.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
nudetothis said:
However there are a couple games which do not. For example, Beetle Adventure Racing and Ridge Racer. Both of these games run at about 44fps.

that's because you have sync audio on, and it's syncing to the wrong speed. I've added this to the gameFAQ.

nudetothis

Hey, yeah! Yeah, yeah, yeah!!! Not only did that fix the speed problem with RR64, Top Gear Rally 2 and Beetle Adv , it also made some games I've held onto that seemed to be unplayable work just fine ----
Namco Museum
Excitebike:)
San Fran Rush 2049

This is great!
The only problem is, now all my other games are running from 90 to 140fps!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guess I'll have to start switching depending on which game it is. Time to make 2 directories I think.

THanks again, Smiff. Awesome tip.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
heh, just turn on the core speed limiter (f4) and leave sync game to audio off permanently

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ah, fine note. It just makes it a shame that you cannot affect some settings if you don't want all settings to overwritten with those from the ini.

Example: Cannot use protect memory on all games while having all other settings as those from the ini.