What's new

Some development tools from the original Ultra64 kit

Jax184

I've been tidying up and documenting my Ultra64 dev kit, and it occurred to me that some emulator developers might benefit from a look at the dev manual it came with. A friend of mine scanned the whole 616 page behemoth and made a PDF of it for me.

So here's hoping this might help with the development efforts!

...Or not. Seems your forum doesn't allow attachments larger than 2 megs, or external links by new members.

Edit: There's a link on my website's homepage to a similar thread I made over at assemblergames. That one contains the link. And the link to my website is in my profile. Is that convoluted enough or what?

Last edited:
OP
Jax184

Jax184

Hmm...

In that case, the PDF is at Here (If the forum puts a space between the a and the l of manual, remove it. It doesn't show up in the editor so I can't remove it myself.)

And the thread in which I talk about how I came to own an Ultra64 is at Here.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fanatic 64

As far as I know, the Nintendo Ultra 64 is somewhat different from the Nintendo 64, mainly in that it is more powerful. I don't know how relevant that manual would be for coding for the retail N64, but I guess it can't be so different.

(Just thinking and typing here)

Something I have always wondered about the NU64 (or it's devkit): does it run retail N64 games? If so, would games like GoldenEye run faster/smoother on it due to the more powerful hardware?

OP
Jax184

Jax184

It's not more powerful, it's the same basic components as a standard N64. The difference is that it's mounted to a GIO32 card to fit inside of an SGI computer, and in place of the cartridge slot is 16 megabytes of RAM which can be accessed from the SGI. This allows you to test work-in-progress games.

From what I've heard it's possible to load dumped ROMs into it as well, but when I tried it they didn't work. I suspect the headers need to be modified or something simple like that. I hope to figure that out in the coming days.

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
It's not more powerful, it's the same basic components as a standard N64. The difference is that it's mounted to a GIO32 card to fit inside of an SGI computer, and in place of the cartridge slot is 16 megabytes of RAM which can be accessed from the SGI. This allows you to test work-in-progress games.

From what I've heard it's possible to load dumped ROMs into it as well, but when I tried it they didn't work. I suspect the headers need to be modified or something simple like that. I hope to figure that out in the coming days.

How did you obtain a U64 board? I've been searching for one for awhile...

OP
Jax184

Jax184

I got it as part of the whole kit. Go have a look at my thread on assembler games for the back story. The link is in my second post.

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
I got it as part of the whole kit. Go have a look at my thread on assembler games for the back story. The link is in my second post.

Thanks, appreciate it... won't give up hope that there's still people willing to let them go! :party:

EDIT: *goes to check craigslist posting in the near tri-state area.*

Last edited: