What's new

Graphics Error

LandStanderr

OK, I never used to have trouble with project64 and have played dozens of games on it, but today when I start it up I get:

"Graphics Error
Direct3D failed to initialize
Error code:8876086A
D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

The default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid.
Check that you have at least 1 compatible plugin in your plugin folder."

Then it gives me the settings box, and says I have Jabo's Direct3D 8 1.6 and 6 1.5.2 available. Choosing either of them produces the error.

I've got
Windows 7
AMD Athlon X2 dual core @ 2.0 GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1270 with the latest driver
DirectX 11

And like I said, I used to play P64 all the time with zero issues... I've been looking all over for the solution. I've found a few threads around the Internet but none of them were ever resolved.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
By the looks of it, your video card drivers might be corrupt. As in, DirectX sees that Direct3D is not available, thus making it impossible to display any graphics. Run dxdiag and see of there are any error messages found in the Display tab.

Are you sure you have the latest Radeon drivers installed?

Last edited:
OP
L

LandStanderr

Oh yeah, I should have posted that too.

Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled

Notes:
No problems found.

And I'm pretty sure about having the latest drivers, I got them when I reformatted like a year ago and haven't changed anything like that since I last played N64.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
ATI has released reveral new versions of the ATICcatalyst drivers during the past year. Anyway, at this point I really don't know what else to tell you.