What's new

Which Linux???

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Hi,

I want to try out linux on a 2nd partition of my hd (I own a bootmanager that is capable to dualboot)

But since there are SO many version which one should i choose and why?

(SuSe, Redhat, Corel, etc...)

???

OP
Falcon4ever

Falcon4ever

Yeah but with my Zero-Knowlegde Linux experience it might be handy to use a installer packages, (i do know much ms-dos/win98 stuff)

I Saw that Redhat also contain KDE so I think i going to download that but it SOOO LARGE 3x 650 MB grrr

On a dutch page i read that slackware is good but doesn't have a good setup guide.
And linux from the scratch We're can i find it!? on www.linux.com there are only software FOR linux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I think that Mandrake 8.2 is the best choice for beginner currenty : easy to install, many tools included for a personnal use...
There's also the last Suse but you can't download it....

(And you don't need any boot manager, since it is included in all the distros).

To download the isos : http://www.linuxiso.org

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Theorically, mupen64 can run on all linux systems, but i know there's a few bugs in the current version that will be corrected soon.
It also need a configured video card with hardware acceleration.

OP
Falcon4ever

Falcon4ever

Ok, Btw my got a SiS 530 and a Voodoo2 3d card,
I think I'm going to try Redhat with KDE hope it works,
the next problem is downloading the shit.

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
Uh

I think Redhat only has 2 CD's, at least my install does, but I only have 7.2. Maybe 7.3 requires all 3; i thought one was an extra. oh well.

Olger901

Banned
I really would recommend SuSE Linux 8.0 Personal for beginners. I started with it.

1 It's easy to install with Auto Install. It does everything automatically, only 1 or 2 clicks required

2 It comes with very much progs

3 It is easy to use and it's very stable

4 It comes with KDE and is very easy to use (gNOME is big junk)

5 It comes with Star Office (It's almost the same as Microsoft Office)

The Only disadvantage is that when installing packages it almost always says some packages are missing but you can download these from www.rpmfind.net