What's new

Need help installing CPU!

garboy

Some One
Help!My motherboard is K7T Turbo and Socket A...the CPU im trying to install is an AMD AthlonXP 1800+.I know it is compatible with my MB because they're both socket A and my mb supports up to 1.5ghz.My mb supports AMD Athlon and Duron.The cpu fits perfectly in the mb when i lift the lever but when i try to lower the lever to lock it into place,the lever doesnt wanna go down...any suggestions?

Slougi

Well, you have to push it slightly. Make sure the cpu slips in place effortlessly, then just push the ever down.

And since this is tech help i'll move it to the appropriate forum.

OP
G

garboy

Some One
Push the CPU or lever slightly?Because the lever doesnt push down easily when i put my CPU in...i dont wana push the lever down if it doesnt push easily...it might break the CPU.

Slougi

The cpu should just fall in place all by itself, but you do need do push the lever with slight force. Usually around 2/3 of the way go completely effortlessly, then u have to apply some force to the lever.

Slougi

Well, some common sense here, if u are about to break the lever or something, then obviously the cpu is inserted wrongly or something....
Did u make sure the lever was all the way up before u put the cpu in place?

OP
G

garboy

Some One
yep then when i put in my cpu and lowered the lever a little bit then the lever was hard to move down more

OP
G

garboy

Some One
It got a little bit harder to push?Is that supposed to happen?Because i thought i was gonna break it so i stopped

Eagle

aka Alshain
Whoa slow down Slougi. Garboy, you do know that you have to have the CPU put in the right direction. The CPU should have 3 corners and one corner that looks as though its cut off. On the mobo the socket should have some kind of identifing mark that should tell you where to line this corner up with. Sometimes its an arrow, sometimes the pin holes cut off the corner just like the CPU. Make sure you put it in correctly.

Eagle

aka Alshain
So, in short, lift the lever, line up the CPU with the socket, place it gently yet firmly into the socket until it falls into place, lower the lever and snap it into place. Sometimes its better to install the fan on the CPU first. You shouldn't have to ram the CPU into the socket, doing so can bend the pins or damage the CPU. PS. The pictures show a socket 7 but they should be similar.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
I know how to place one but what i don't understand is why garboy couldn't do this on his own, cuz A friend of mine bought a cpu and got a manual in his package. With a cooking-book style explenation it was just a few min work.
anywayz you explained everything really good, garboy should now be able to replace his cpu

Eagle

aka Alshain
(NL)Falcon4ever said:
I know how to place one but what i don't understand is why garboy couldn't do this on his own, cuz A friend of mine bought a cpu and got a manual in his package. With a cooking-book style explenation it was just a few min work.
anywayz you explained everything really good, garboy should now be able to replace his cpu

Oops, I typed the wrong name, I meant to type garboy, not falcon