What's new

end user Windows 7 x64 config / gui frontends

Capico

Hello, end user questions here. I just built a new rig that will be running windows 7 64 bit and wanted to get instructions on setting up mupen 64plus on it. (I get the impression that it's the furthest and most actively developed nintendo 64 emulator right now) It's not put together yet, so I can't do testing for a week or two yet, but I wanted to get some questions answered first.

my info, what I need help with is:

I've downloaded the newest release from google code for 32 bit windows, I assume there is no 64 bit windows build. (1.99.4) as well as later SVN builds.

My monitor resolution is 1680x1050, I'd want to run games full screen at that resolution. I use a wired usb xbox360 controller with microsoft drivers for a controller, sometimes 2 at a time for multiplayer. I may want to try high resolution texture packs at some point too - instructions on that?

1. is there a good windows GUI frontend for the newer releases and svn compiles of mupen64plus? I'd prefer to use a gui based config system to commandline if possible, unless I'd be missing out on newer features in the recent release's code, etc.

2. if there is no actively updated / highly compatible gui frontend at the moment, I'd like some walkthrough on setting up for the aforementioned settings and running a game via commandline options. (The tutorial on the official wiki seems to only be for linux, there was a short one for windows I found but it wasn't quite specific enough and was more for initial install than running a game) I'm just an end user, I'm moderately computer literate, but I admit I don't use commandline programs often. So some specific examples of what I should type/etc is appreciated.

3. keyboard shortcuts. what are they for things like state saves / loads, loading mempacks or files, things like that.

thank you immensely for any help given and apologies if this is an irrelevant topic - I didn't see anything discouraging end user questions, and mupen64plus doesnt' seem to have an official forum.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Hello,

wxmupen64plus is the best GUI. I don't know if it's easy to build on Windows; it's hard to build on Linux because few distros have wxWidgets 2.9, which is required.

Hi-res texture packs: http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/HighResolutionTextures

Keyboard commands: http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/KeyboardSetup

Instructions for running from console: http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/UIConsoleUsage

Locations for config files if you need to edit them: http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/FileLocations

The screen will be stretched if you do fullscreen with a wide monitor, unless you can setup the monitor to pillarbox it. Somebody should add a pillarbox mode to the video plugin.

OP
C

Capico

--configdir (dir) <- are these commands sticky? will the custom directories I set with these commands continue to be where mupen looks for files after I close the program and run it again? I'd like to preferably have all my mupen files in the same directory I installed it to, not scattered in docs and settings folders.

wxMupen64Plus supports hires through rice, correct? just click the enable hires and it should autoload any texturepacks that have the associated rom name?
wxMupen64Plus combo includes the mupen64plus core... but it doesn't say what revision it uses. in order to use it with the revision I downloaded I'd have to compile it myself with the files I have? I guess since it's a frontend I can't download someone else's build of it and just put it in the mupen directory. I've never compiled anything in my life and don't have wxwidgets or SDL on my pc. :/ unsure if I should get the combo or what. fwiw http://www.emucr.com/2011/06/mupen64plus-20110606.html is the release I've got - perhaps someone could build wxmupen64plus with those files.

and as far as commandline goes, I want to just open commandprompt and cd to my install directory, then run mupen64plus-ui-console.exe? with an -- commands after the executable and before the game? for example: mupen64pl
us-ui-console.exe --fulscreen "I:\Data\ETL\Downloads\!Games\!Emulators\N64\Games\Banjo Kazoo
ie\Banjo=Kazooie (USA).n64"
would result in running banjo kazooie in whatever fullscreen resolution is specified in the config .cfg? (or would I have to use a commandline function for resolution as well?) hopefully most of the settings for running a rom are pulled from the .cfgi (controller mappings, gfx resolution?) so I don't have to set them manually each time I run the emulator - is this true?

I just tried this on my older pc here. athlon thunderbird 1.4ghz (yes, ancient) but I'm getting microsoft visual studio dll errors. I downloaded the correct DLL's but now it says invalid entry point on msvcr DLL. ):

and what would I have to put in a bat file before the commands so I could just double click a bat file for each game? I tried just pasting the previous commands into a text file and making it a .bat but it didn't work.

I'd love a pillarbox mode. :/

Last edited:

Richard42

Emulator Developer
--configdir (dir) <- are these commands sticky? will the custom directories I set with these commands continue to be where mupen looks for files after I close the program and run it again? I'd like to preferably have all my mupen files in the same directory I installed it to, not scattered in docs and settings folders.

If you use the '--saveoptions' option, the console-ui will save the options that you give it on the command-line. However, the 'configdir' is a special "chicken-and-egg" case. It can't store that path in the config file because it needs to know that path before it can read the config file. If you let that file live in its normal place (~/.config/mupen64plus) everything else can be in a single folder though.

wxMupen64Plus supports hires through rice, correct? just click the enable hires and it should autoload any texturepacks that have the associated rom name?

That is correct. The directory names have to be exactly correct. On Linux and Mac the case matters, but not on Windows. The video plugin will tell you the proper name of the ROM; it will dump out something like this on the console:

Video: Found ROM 'THE LEGEND OF ZELDA', CRC b71170ec2bd71676-45

In this case the folder name must exactly match "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA"

wxMupen64Plus combo includes the mupen64plus core... but it doesn't say what revision it uses. in order to use it with the revision I downloaded I'd have to compile it myself with the files I have? I guess since it's a frontend I can't download someone else's build of it and just put it in the mupen directory. I've never compiled anything in my life and don't have wxwidgets or SDL on my pc. :/ unsure if I should get the combo or what. fwiw http://www.emucr.com/2011/06/mupen64plus-20110606.html is the release I've got - perhaps someone could build wxmupen64plus with those files.

In general the front-end applications and emulator core should determine whether or not they are compatible with each other. If they are not compatible, they should give you useful error message and refuse to run. Usually they should be compatible; going forward we will only break compatibility when it is absolutely necessary, so users should be mostly free to mix and match different versions of cores, front-ends, and plugins, and it should work. Having said that, I recently made a bunch of changes to the modules in order to handle versioning and ensure this compatibility. As a result of these changes, Auria's pre-built wxMupen64plus package may be out of date and might not run with the very latest source code of the core.

and as far as commandline goes, I want to just open commandprompt and cd to my install directory, then run mupen64plus-ui-console.exe? with an -- commands after the executable and before the game? for example: mupen64pl
us-ui-console.exe --fullscreen "I:\Data\ETL\Downloads\!Games\!Emulators\N64\Games\Banjo Kazoo
ie\Banjo=Kazooie (USA).n64"
would result in running banjo kazooie in whatever fullscreen resolution is specified in the config .cfg? (or would I have to use a commandline function for resolution as well?) hopefully most of the settings for running a rom are pulled from the .cfgi (controller mappings, gfx resolution?) so I don't have to set them manually each time I run the emulator - is this true?

Yes, that is all correct. All of the settings will be pulled from the config file. Any settings you give on the command line will override those in the config file. However they will not be written into the config file unless you also give '--saveoptions'.

I just tried this on my older pc here. athlon thunderbird 1.4ghz (yes, ancient) but I'm getting microsoft visual studio dll errors. I downloaded the correct DLL's but now it says invalid entry point on msvcr DLL. ):

What version of Windows? I think I built package on Win XP with MSVC 2005.

and what would I have to put in a bat file before the commands so I could just double click a bat file for each game? I tried just pasting the previous commands into a text file and making it a .bat but it didn't work.

I'd love a pillarbox mode. :/

I think you will need to 'cd' to the directory containing the front-end and all the DLLs and config/ini files, or else it won't be able to find them.

OP
C

Capico

yay! I got it working now with some help from a friend who knows more about computing than I.

To clarify about cfgdir, is that to change the location where mupen64plus looks for the mupen64plus.cfg file? And you're saying this cannot be changed and saved via --saveoptions? can it be changed manually so it always looks in one directory like my "D:\Games\N64\Mupen64+PLUS\..." where all my other files are? I manually input the saves and screens dirs into the .cfg with a text editor. I copied a copy of the .cfg to the location where I want it, but I'm unsure if it will work.

also, unrelated, but which emu mode should I use for (most games)? --emumode (mode) : set emu mode to: 0=Pure Interpreter 1=Interpreter 2=DynaRec <- this.

and how would I change my xbox 360 usb controller key mappings manually? thanks!