What's new

Merging Re-textures with the ROM

Usurper

Hey I registered to ask this question since I can't find the answer anywhere else on the web. First I'd like to say great job on all of the fine artists who work on the re-textures for N64 games.

Now I know you need to have the right plugin for the re-textures to work on the emulator, but what I want to know is it simply possible to merge these re-textures with the ROM itself? Or replace the original textures with the new ones? The reason I ask this is because of tools like the NEO N64 Myth Cart where you can load up ROMs and play them on your N64. I would like to play re-textured games on the NEO N64 Myth Cart or at least play these re-textured games outside of an emulator and I just want to know if any other option is possible.

Thanks for your time.

Allnatural

I would assume no. Even if it's possible to replace textures within the rom (as opposed to on-the-fly), it's unlikely you'd have sufficient ram in the N64 to load them when playing.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Even if - for the sake of argument you could. The real N64 is incapable of loading hi-res textures, so they would have to be stored low res, which makes the point of high res texture packs moot.

Could you replace textures? maybe -- but you'd need to have a ROM specific hacking tool (which would be tough to make due to the compression involved in roms) but as far as I know there's no tools that do this and they'd store the texture at the same resolution as before.

OP
U

Usurper

Even if - for the sake of argument you could. The real N64 is incapable of loading hi-res textures, so they would have to be stored low res, which makes the point of high res texture packs moot.

Could you replace textures? maybe -- but you'd need to have a ROM specific hacking tool (which would be tough to make due to the compression involved in roms) but as far as I know there's no tools that do this and they'd store the texture at the same resolution as before.
Fair enough, the N64 is old and crummy and there's no way it could play these new textures. Understandable and I actually predicted this to be the answer.

However, let's say we did make this ROM hacking tool that COULD replace the original textures with the old ones, right? Now instead of loading that onto a Neo Myth for the N64, let's say we put it on a USB and load it onto Wii64. Do you think it would be possible to run it on there?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Sure why not, but it still doesn't change the fact that no such tool exists.

But if you were going for wii64 it'd be easier to code the video plugin to do it.