What's new

I can not for the love of god get this working

cryp

Hello,

I have for ages been trying to get several different DC emulators working, with no progress.

Today I decided to try Demul. I have managed to get past the bios errors etc but now I am stuck at the date settings screen and I can not use the keyboard to select anything.

I have configured my keyboard for player 1 and have set buttons for the required actions but when I press the appropriate button nothing happens. It's not frozen because I can see the water or whatever in the background moving.

How do I get the keyboard to work?

I have tried several versions of Demul with the exact same issue. I'm running WinXP x86.

Thanks

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Are you sure you set the keys for the right input device? I mean you have a selection between Dreamcast, JAMMA, and Atomiswave. When you set the keys, did you make sure that the keys you pressed were properly registered by the emulator?

OP
C

cryp

Are you sure you set the keys for the right input device? I mean you have a selection between Dreamcast, JAMMA, and Atomiswave. When you set the keys, did you make sure that the keys you pressed were properly registered by the emulator?

Yes I did, and yes it identified my keys corretly.

xero420

sorry to inform you but demul does not support keyboard keys to play video games, atleast not when a game is inserted, which beats the whole point of an emulator, huge flaw right their that needs to be fixed.lol

heres a quote from the faq from the demul homepage.

Q: Why can't I make my keyboard work with Demul?
A: Demul won't accept keyboard/pad assignment while running a game, neither with a game inserted. Try to make assignment with opened CD tray

in other words, demul is trash for now, go use a different emulator like nulldc

xero420

Then why do I have no trouble assigning keyboard keys and using them?

If thats the case then please by all means guide me how to assign the keys.
I have tried with no success, keyboard control is not working for me on demul so I have no idea how you got it to work?

your able to use the keyboard keys to control movement during gameplay and the DC bios startup menu?

Agozer

There is no guide, I simply assign them and that's it. The key bindings work fine in the Dreamcast BIOS menu.

xero420

There is no guide, I simply assign them and that's it. The key bindings work fine in the Dreamcast BIOS menu.

ok heres how I try to configure the keyboard, tell me if this is what you do.

1.open up demul
2.go to congig
3. go to gamepad
4.go to "Dreamcast" joy 1
5. assign all the keys for joy 1.

after that, I have notice that the settings I put it somehow resets itself to default when ever I close the config windows.

are this the steps you use? or something else?

also, in the config-plugins menu
their is a section that says

port A, port B, port C, port D

for port A, I have assign the "keyboard" option and I have also tried doing the same thing for port B,C,D and no luck.

Agozer

How should I put this...

If you set Port A to use Keyboard, that means that the emulator emulates the Dreamcast keyboard addon, NOT your own keyboard as an input device. Setting it to Controller means that that the emulator emulates the Dreamcast's own game controller. This is how it should be set.

Last edited: