What's new

Need Demul Help

NosirrahK

Awesome White Dude
I just got Demul 0.5.5 Alpha and whenever I hit start emulation an error pops up saying "Unable to find '1_01d_01.bin' in romset 'dc'."

Can someone please explain to me what it means and what I can do to get this to work? Please explain to me like I'm a n00b (mainly cos I am).

I have Windows 7 64-bit.

I want to use Demul more than NullDC and Chankast because Demul recognizes my controller. NullDC doesn't recognize and Chankast doesn't work.

If you have any ways to get the others to work/recognize my controller I'd feel happy.

OP
N

NosirrahK

Awesome White Dude
What is a US BIOS file? Does it come with a rom/iso?

Where could I get the US BIOS file?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You can't ask such things here, as it is copyrighted material, the same way as commercial games are. No, it usually doesn't come with ROMs or ISOs.

BIOS means "Basic Input/Output System", which is a piece of software that runs every time your game console is turned on. The BIOS checks that all the hardware components are in working order and initiates a boot sequence for a game, for example. It's also responsible for the graphical user interface (internal clock, memory card manager, etc. etc.) when the console is turned on with no game disc inside.

In the Dreamcast's case, the console had different BIOS versions depending on the region the console was bought in; either the US, Europe or Japan. Since the BIOS is a piece of software that is in charge of the basic functionality of the console, emulators also need access to the BIOS.

In this case, Demul expects the BIOS file from a US console to be present in dc.zip, and the file is named "1_01d_01.bin". Demul is set to emulate a US console by default, although you can change this once the emulator is up and running

Last edited:
OP
N

NosirrahK

Awesome White Dude
Ahhh, okay. Now I get it.

I looked up what a BIOS is and the website I found was confusing. Your explanation was easier to understand.

Thanks for the reply, now I am more knowledgeable of emulation.