What's new

Issue with Fraps and Project 64

Shaun2k5

I'm attempting to record some footage using Project 64 (1.7 build) and have run into issues when it comes to using fraps with it.

My computer specs are as follows:

Intel Quad Core (2.4Ghz)
Nvidia 9800GT
4GB Ram

I'm completely miffed therefore why the game suddenly (and randomly) drops framerates from 60 to 10 when recording. It doesn't always do this, most of the time its fine but as said, randomly it will crash to low frames per second.

Here are the specs I use in the graphics plugin

http://usera.ImageCave.com/Shaun2005/Smilies/Settings.png.jpg

Any help or recommendations?

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Version 1.7 has not been officially released yet and is not supported here. You can either post your question to the beta board (which legitimate beta testers have access to) or use version 1.6.

OP
S

Shaun2k5

I only sought out 1.7 because the issue existed in the 1.6 build.

So help there?

Edit

Friend has same issue

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Does this happen with ever graphics plugin? It's not necessarily Project64's fault, you know. For all I know, it might be an issues with FRAPS as well.

X-Fi6

>I'm completely miffed therefore why the game suddenly (and randomly) drops framerates from 60 to 10 when recording. It doesn't always do this, most of the time its fine but as said, randomly it will crash to low frames per second.

N64 games almost always play at 20fps, except for some areas such as the menu in Ocarina of Time. FRAPS actually locks the game to whatever framerate you set if you have "No sync" unchecked.

Some other recorders to try are Taksi and, when I somehow get around to making it usable, TrisFire.

Solar

Kebab?
The sudden drop in frame rate is because Fraps is trying to save an unusualy large file while converting it into its own propriety video format.
It has nothing to do with PJ64.

Your best bet is to use a second hard drive for saving down your video files, that way the HDD your PJ64 (or any other game for that matter) is using, isn't being used by Fraps at the same time and your frame rate shouldnt be affected half as much.
Also, set Fraps to record at the same frame rate PJ64 is outputting.

Trust me on this, i'm a heavy Fraps user myself :)

TWP_CABOOSE

Hey, i'm having the same problem except for when i'm recording ocarina of time and I play the song of storms in the windmill during the cutscen it just crashes then when i try to restart the emu and click to record it freezes also can abyone help?