What's new

Newbie help

xphoenixrebornx

Hey all!

I just downloaded Demul today and I was trying to read up on it on how to use it and I almost went cross eyed haha. I've been dying to play Spawn: Enter the demon's hand and seaman (which I know doesn't work due to the mic issue), but I am completely clueless on how to even launch a game haha.

I was wondering if you guys could offer some help please =)
My games are in the .cdi format btw

Thanks so much! =)

Nologic

hmm not sure how much hand holding this will be...but what the hell. :)

First off you need to make sure you have the bare bones hardware to run the emu...this means a video card that supports Pixel Shader 2.0 but I think Demul also makes use of Pixel Shader 3.0 in some area's. You will also need a 2.5ghz AMD64 or Core2 CPU...course newer hardware is always better.

To see if your video card supports PS 2.0 or above please refer to the Wikipedia Compatibility Table.

Next you must have DirectX 9 installed...please refer to Microsoft.

Next you must have the Visual C++ 2005 Runtimes installed...please refer to Microsoft.

Next it is recommended that you get BIOS images that match what Demul is expecting you can get a DAT file from RomShepherd which you can then use clrmamepro to verify the files with along with giving them proper naming and archiving into a zip file.

Here is a guide to using clrmamepro.

Its advised to run the DAT against any Mame rom set you may have so that you can enjoy all the arcade games that Demul also supports. I'm unsure if Demul added support for normal Mame CHD files but to create the unencrypted CHD's that I know work with Demul please see this post for a tool that automates the procedure along with rough instructions.

Further it is highly recommended to use GDI images rather than CDI images for Dreamcast emulation as CDI's are often altered and thus come with their own problems when it comes to emulation.

To dump your own GDI's please refer to ReDump & Dumpcast for available methods.

Now ideally you have used clrmamepro to not only create your DC bios zip package but also all the other arcade game packages as well...now you are to create a sub folder inside of your Demul directory called Roms. It actually doesn't need to be there but for simplicity of this instructional please do so. Now move all your zip packages created by clrmamepro into this folder.

Now if when you open Demul you are not greeted by "Bios & Plugins" dialog please from the menu bar of Demul select the following "Config\Plugins" this should then display the "Bios & Plugins" dialog.

Doh! I got to head out for now but I'll come back in fill in the rest ASAP if someone else doesn't step in and finish it off.