What's new

N64 Frame Buffer

Kreationz

Emulator Developer
DaedalusX64's video is a continuation of Strmn's original plug-in modified for the PSP with some of Rice's (and others) improvements ported in. One thing that has yet to be ported are frame buffer effects. These are needed for compatibility in some games. Currently we use all the PSP's limited EDRAM (2Mb or 4Mb depending on model) for the PSP frame buffers and textures and even then we still don't have enough and have to push some of the textures to normal RAM. I'm in the process of converting it to use 16Bit frame buffers (saving 544K) and DXT5 compression (4x the texture space). Currently on Phat only 688K(+1Mb Regular memory) for Textures and on Slim (2736k)(+3Mb Regular memory but that is overkill).
These changes would be the equivalent of 4928K (7x) on Phat and 13120K (~4.8x) on Slim. This would eliminate the need to use regular memory (for performance reasons) and should also provide space for the N64 frame buffer. Using only (4Mb equivalent buffers or 1Mb EDRAM) on the Phat would leave us 208K to spare :)

My question is this what size of a frame buffer for the frame buffer effects does the N64 use? My guess would be I'd need 320*240*4 (For 32Bit) or ~300K (or 150k if I can get away with a 16bit buffer there as well). Is this about right? Was it only a single buffer used?

OP
K

Kreationz

Emulator Developer
Thx, I just discovered that document recently and I gave me some clues about so audio bugs we are having unrelated to your code (They are PSP specific and only occur when we run the audio asycronously.)