What's new

Using a Real Wiimote

TBiscuit

I'm thinking of buying a Wiimote and nunchuck specially for Dolphin Emulation.
I saw on some websites that in order to use them with the emulator, along with the bluetooth adapter, you also need a wireless Infra Red sensor????

Is this true?

I don't really see the point to an IR sensor if your Wiimote is already in sync with your computer via bluetooth.

If I just skip the IR sensor, will the wiimote not work with dolphin?

dante489

no its not ... i bought my wiimote and the nunchuk connected them with my bluetooth dongle and it works just fine without a Sensor Bar ... i keep hearing on the net about the Sensor Bar but really it works for me without it

Toasty

Sony battery
The "sensor" bar isn't actually a sensor bar at all. It just contains a few infrared LEDs that a sensor in the Wiimote uses to calculate its orientation. That said, I wouldn't think the Wiimote could be used to "point" at anything onscreen without some sort of infrared signals (IE a "sensor" bar) to use as a reference point.

OP
T

TBiscuit

The "sensor" bar isn't actually a sensor bar at all. It just contains a few infrared LEDs that a sensor in the Wiimote uses to calculate its orientation. That said, I wouldn't think the Wiimote could be used to "point" at anything onscreen without some sort of infrared signals (IE a "sensor" bar) to use as a reference point.

dante489:

Do you get any calibration problems, unresponsiveness or any other glitches when using the wiimote without the sensor bar?

Have you tried playing games designed for the Wii Zapper like Dead Space or Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles? If so, do they work ok?

dante489

dante489:

Do you get any calibration problems, unresponsiveness or any other glitches when using the wiimote without the sensor bar?

Have you tried playing games designed for the Wii Zapper like Dead Space or Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles? If so, do they work ok?

naah man no glitches or anything but to be honest with ya i didn't try any one of the mentioned games the only games i tried were
new super mario bros (completed it)
mario galaxy (completed it)
sonic and the secret ring (completed it)
resident evil archive (still playing)
wii games and wii sports
now i'm downloading Umbrella Chronicles if it works fine i'll let u know by the way is dead space fully playable

OP
T

TBiscuit

Well.., I think that most of the games you've played don't make use of the Wiimote's pointer, so it's hard to tell.

About Dead Space, it depends on what you call playable.
On my System using a 64-bit Rev4717 the game runs at an average of 17 - 20 fps.
The worse problem is a sound glitch that produces a lot of background noise.

Otherwise, the graphics are fine.

I started playing it just fine, but got stuck at a part where you have to "shake" your Wiimote in order to light a glow-stick. The "shake" function mapped with the emulator corresponds to key " / " but it does nothing in this point of the game.

My basic Specs:
WinXP Pro 64-bit
Intel E6700 C2D @ 3.0Ghz
4GB Kingston HyperX PC2-9600 DDR2
BFG Geforce GTX 280 1GB