What's new

Wondering about Project 64

evilbobbarker

Hi anyone who's reading this. I've got a couple of problems with Project 64. With Super Smash Bros. There's some missing flashey effects like Samus's charge shot. Also the emulators has alot of jittering to it. I was wondering if there was some sort of list around that gave a list of reccomended setups for certains games. Like for Kirby - The Crystal Shards the emulator says it needs a plugin. Where are all the plugins for the emulator anyway? Goldeneye 007 has alot jittering problems too and i was wondering if it was maybe because of the way i have the plug-ins and what not setup. Well here's what my system specs are:

Pentium 4 1.7ghz
512 MB RAM
64 MB GeForce 2
SoundBlaster live

should that type of a system be able to play the emulator flawlessly? I'm just wondering if there's something i'm not seeing in the menus that'll speed up the emulation process. Well thanks for any help in advance

OP
E

evilbobbarker

oh yeah by the way. my comp is brand new. got it wednesday from dell. so no problems with upgrading from an older operating (i know from experience that its usually a nightmare). running windows xp home edition. did an automatic update and have all the latest drivers for all my hardware. also as an afterthough could someone tell which programs in xp's crtl-alt-delete menu are vital for the system to be running? i'm not quite used to the xp way of computing yet and want to have my comp running with the least amount of programs running at once possible. thanks again.

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
In ssb, you can't see samus' shot charge. I noticed that. The sheild is a problem also. SSB is broken in jabo's plugin. There are other things missing in the game. You should try to get jabo's 1.3 plugin to fix some issues.

thine_impalor

Local spammer
only explorer

lso as an afterthough could someone tell which programs in xp's crtl-alt-delete menu are vital for the system to be running? i'm not quite used to the xp way of computing yet and want to have my comp running with the least amount of programs running at once possible. thanks again.

actually the only program that HAS to be running is explorer. the others depend on u, like, u might want to keep ur antivirus turned on as well as ur firewall and OTHER programs that u think R necessary...then again, with 512mb ram, y bother shutting anything down??? *sighs* i iwsh i had 512 mb ram........:plain:

cheers

OP
E

evilbobbarker

so would the jittering with the sound be normal with my system? i also notice it jitters when polygons load up i.e. moving the pointer in smash bros over a character and their body appears. i wanna know if this is normal and if not what should i do to speed it up

Corak

Nintendo gamer
evilbobbarker said:
so would the jittering with the sound be normal with my system? i also notice it jitters when polygons load up i.e. moving the pointer in smash bros over a character and their body appears. i wanna know if this is normal and if not what should i do to speed it up

I don't think you should experience jittering under normal circumstances. But you did a poor choice of chosing your first games to test Project64. ;)
I get the smoothest audio with "Jabo's DirectSound 1.40" plugin. Don't forget to check the box "Sync game to Audio" in the Options -> Configure Audio Plugin.. menu.
BUT this will only work perfectly as long as you have consistently 60fps (NTSC rom) or 50fps (PAL rom).
I just loaded up GoldenEye (U) [!] myself and yes I do experience jittering also. But this is not really surprising.
If you had used the latest RDB from smiff you would have noticed the notes for the GoldenEye rom: "(high system req.)".
Maybe it would help if Project64 was recompiled with a Pentium 4 optimized compiler. But I guess the source would need direct optimization.
Otherwise you might want to try your luck with a PAL rom since there you will only need 50fps to get smooth audio.

Oh and according to the RDB notes you would have to use Project64 1.3 or at least the older video plugin (no clue where to get this) because SuperSmashBrothers is broken with 1.4. I didn't check out the 1.5 Beta yet.

So please install and check out the latest RDB http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3541
next time.

Update: I just tested Goldeneye with 1964. Seems to run a lot better here! Unfortunately Audio in 1964 in general is not fully up to par with Project64. It crashes when I select Jabo's DirectSound plugin. Azimers 0.3 plugin doesn't support "Sync game to audio" so it's pretty much worthless. Goldeneye sounds horrible without.
The "Basic Audio Plugin" won't produce any sound for Goldeneye.
Azimers 0.4 Beta 2 with these settings:
o Buffer max
o Enable Audio Fix (interestingly enough it ran faster with this enabled!)
(o Stop Sound when Paused)
o Sync Gameplay to Audio
however ran Goldeneye pretty well. It still jittered sometimes a bit but I would consider this combination playable in comparison to Goldeneye + PJ64

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
evilbobbarker said:
oh yeah by the way. my comp is brand new. got it wednesday from dell. so no problems with upgrading from an older operating (i know from experience that its usually a nightmare). running windows xp home edition. did an automatic update and have all the latest drivers for all my hardware. also as an afterthough could someone tell which programs in xp's crtl-alt-delete menu are vital for the system to be running? i'm not quite used to the xp way of computing yet and want to have my comp running with the least amount of programs running at once possible. thanks again.
My advice:
Close all open windows and stuff, and do NOT touch anything else! It may #### up windows.