What's new

Byteswapping?!?

Rasmus

Banned
can byteswapping damage a rom, and if it does, will goodn64 fail to recognize it?

if it is to any importance, I use tool64...

OP
R

Rasmus

Banned
.....and is goodn64 recognizing a rom, an insurance for it not being damaged in any ways?

Allnatural

Byteswapping isn't really necessary these days because modern emulators can byte-swap on the fly when the rom is loaded.

And yes, GoodN64 will tell you when the roms are good, bad, hacked, overdumped, etc.

OP
R

Rasmus

Banned
ok, I knew that much, but my question wasn't answered...

I byteswapped all my roms to v64, and i wanna know if this byteswapping could damage my roms, and if good n64 would then fail to recognise the damaged ones (hopefully it will!)

hope i made myself clear this time... ;)

OP
R

Rasmus

Banned
I used tool64 and i got some "executing from non mapped space" from some of my [!] roms, don't know if it has anything to do with the byteswapping though,

so... can byteswapping with tool64 damage the roms?

2fast4u

Rasmus said:
I used tool64 and i got some "executing from non mapped space" from some of my [!] roms, don't know if it has anything to do with the byteswapping though,

so... can byteswapping with tool64 damage the roms?

make a backup and try it out ...

flow``

flow``
here's my little process..
1) byteswap w/ tool64
2) rename with goodn64
3) use the latest winrar (3.0) and do massive zipping with normal compression

neoak

Triforce of Something...
The best options to compress a Rom in WinRar is:
Level of Compression: Best
Format: RAR
Options:
-Create Solid Archive
-Use Multimedia Compression (This is usefull for a few hundreds KB)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
neoak said:
The best options to compress a Rom in WinRar is:
Level of Compression: Best
Format: RAR
Options:
-Create Solid Archive
-Use Multimedia Compression (This is usefull for a few hundreds KB)
Pj cannot read RAR'ed roms! Only zipped roms!

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
It is very rare you should need to byteswap ROMs. Only time I found I had to byteswap was to swap back to normal (1234) was to patch JFG U good dump to the cracked version. GoodN64 will recognise the ROM as the same whether or not it's byteswapped.

Also, which way do PJ64 and other emus prefer? It always gives a "Byteswapping ROM" message when loading, no matter which way it's swapped.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
EddyB43 said:
It is very rare you should need to byteswap ROMs. Only time I found I had to byteswap was to swap back to normal (1234) was to patch JFG U good dump to the cracked version. GoodN64 will recognise the ROM as the same whether or not it's byteswapped.

Also, which way do PJ64 and other emus prefer? It always gives a "Byteswapping ROM" message when loading, no matter which way it's swapped.
As stated, pj does not care whether it is byteswapped or not. If it needs to be byteswapped, pj does this automaticlly.