What's new

How's my rig?

G2K

I'm getting a new computer, haven't ordered it yet. I wanted to see how well my rig will work with games like SSBB, Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion, and a few others.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)

Should I up the CPU more? It's already gone $200 over budget...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You'll need all the raw power you can get for Gamecube emulation, I believe. But instead of pouring $1000+ into a computer that can emulate it with flaws, why not buy a gamecube, if you can get a hold of one, for ca $100?

Come on Doom, I'm sure at this point no one needs to explain to you the benefits of emulating a console over playing it on the real thing? He was asking a simple question on PC hardware, not your opinion on if he should by a GC or not.

G2K, that PC should be decent enough to get the job done reasonable well, but the more processing power you have the better.

Doomulation

Who are you trying to sell? $1000+ for (mostly) illegal games that doesn't work at all or with glitches here and there? I think not.
Even if not illegal, you'd have to dump the games to make it completely legal and the gods knows it isn't easy with GC.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Isn't the proper practice in any forum though to not only just indirectly answer someones question(s) but then proceed to also tell them something completely different from what they are asking?

I thought that was the purpose of forums? :p

Doomulation

Admittedly, I don't run gamecube emulators, nor have I been in touch with their updates, so I don't know if a 3 GHz processor can run them at more than 10 fps today. If not, my reply is quite relevant, as you'd probably need 20 GHz to run the emulator properly (you need all the speed you can get).
Besides, a gamecube is still cheaper. Or a Wii. That used to be the advice back in the old days. Get a gamecube.