What's new

Keyboard doesn't work; a multitude of other problems.

elpacco

Whenever I try to play any rom, the keyboard doesn't work. It doesn't respond to anything I press on the keyboard, except the escape button when I exit fullscreen. If I try to assign a new button configuration through the Jabo input plugin, I'll get an error message that says "DirectInput: Error setting coop level on Keyboard to Config Window." If I try doing the same thing with the NRage input plugin, it'll do the count down all the way to zero and no matter what buttons I press, nothing with happen. Don't tell me to RTFM because every time I try to open the user manual, I'll get the message that says "Project64.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and then asks if I want to send an error report or not, you all know what message I'm talking about. And yes I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but to no avail. I have also tried using my PS3 controller, but whenever I try to install the SixAxis driver, halfway through the installation I'll get an error that says:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys

An error occured while trying to create a file in the destination directory:
Access is denied.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended, or Abort to cancel installation.

Then it gives me 3 buttons, Abort, Retry, and Ignore. If I press retry, the error message vanishes for a millisecond, only to reappear again. If I press Abort, it undoes the installation thus far, and if I press ignore, it'll keep going and I'll also get the same error with 4-5 other files. Now the weird thing about this is, that I am the sole user and administrator of this computer and have absolutely zero access restrictions whatsoever. I am on Windows XP Professional, by the way.

Now I would say that I know enough about computers myself that if I were to diagnose the problem, I would say it rests within my DirectX. Yet I have tried reinstalling DirectX 9.0C and it does nothing. From everything I have done, I think the only way to fix this problem would be to reformat and reinstall Windows and everything. If it can be avoided, then I would prefer the alternative. A couple months ago I reformatted, and this is the first time I have tried using Project 64 since then. Before I reformatted, however, I used Project 64 many times and never had any problems, and I would say my computer was much more fucked up then than it is now. Please help me. It is almost as if my computer has gone out of its way to make sure that I don't get to play StarFox 64.

On a sidenote, whenever I try to press ' or " on my keyboard, it doesn't show up until I have typed something after it. I'm not sure if it is related in any way at all, just mentioning. That isn't too much of a problem.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You can also open the user manual without ever starting Project64 (Project64.chm).

DirectX could be the source of the problem sure, but note that unless you already have installed DirectX 9.0c before, the DirectX installer doesn't really update anything. Plus, if DirectX would really be at fault, you'd probably get some DirectX-related error messages (after all, Project64 uses Direct3D, DirectInput, etc. quite extensively). Furthermore, judging by the fact that the SixAxis driver installation fails with "Access denied" would indicate that Windows has done something to your System32 directory (either it's truly marked as Read-only, effectively curbing all modification attempts, or permissions have been altered by a virus of some kind).

Also, only accent marks that are supposed to be used in conjunction with letters (`,´,^,~, ¨, etc.) don't show until another key is pressed. ' and " aren't one of these special characters.

OP
E

elpacco

Well I do get a DirectX related error, the one about the "DirectInput: Error setting coop level on Keyboard to Config Window." I have a feeling that that is the reason I can't get my keyboard to work.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Ah right, I missed that. From what I've gathered, that error more or less means that DirectInput can't find your keyboard or can't use it. It has much less to do with DirectInput being broken, but that's also a possibility. The "Access denied" message for the System32 folder might also play a part in this, since most Windows-device drivers are located there.

Now, there are unoffical DirectX uninstallers that can complete remove any trace of DirectX from your system and then you can reinstall it, but I wouldn't recommend using those, unless it's a do or die situation. As far-fetched as it might sound, update your graphics card drivers if you haven't done so.

Last edited:
OP
E

elpacco

I discovered the oddest thing. It only works on every other reboot. I restarted my computer to install some update for some other program. Once it booted back up, I tried PJ64 and it suddenly started working. An hour or so later, I installed another program on my computer that necessitated another restart. So I did, then I tried PJ64 again and had the exact same problem. I restarted once more, tried it again, and it worked.

This is good enough for me, I'm not going to try to mess with it in fear of making it not work at all. Thanks for your help though.