What's new

Burning VCD, please help!

n64kirby

I just downloaded an **.avi file off KaZaA. I want to burn the thing into VCD. The avi file is 693MB big. So I thought it could fit. I tried it with Nero Burning ROM 5.5.x.x (the rest I forgot) I made a compilation with Nero by selecting VCD as new compilation. Then I dragged the movie file into the lower left portion of the screen. It started to scan for the file, then it was added. It showed that the **.DAT file in MPEGAV folder was 1.5GB! The movie in raw **.avi was about 170 minutes long. But it still remained the 693MB. But after cmpilation, somehow it became 1.5GB?

I also tried the SVCD compilation. No luck either. Every time I drag the thing into the box, it says that the MPEG2 decoder is unavailable. (I have it installled, but unavailable) So I couldn't go on from there.

Can someone help or tell me what otehr program to use besides Easy CD Creator? (I don't like Adaptec for reasons)
I have Clone CD, Blindwrite Suite, and CDRWIN. (Nero of course)

Thanks.

OP
n64kirby

n64kirby

Thanks, I'll try that. Is there no way to make it one disc though? Since if I split that 1.5GB file, then it would be 2 discs.

Thanks anyways.

Eagle

aka Alshain
One disc will hold approxamately 60min of MPEG1 (VCD) and approximately 40min of MPEG2 (SVCD) with good quality.

AVI files will not work on any standard DVD player like VCDand SVCD will.

However, you can compress the file more, but that will lead to poor viewing quality. Like the difference between sound with a VCR's SP and SLP settings. Oh, and www.vcdhelp.com can answer most of your questions.

Eagle

aka Alshain
One more thing, watch the MPEG before burning. Sometimes TMPGEnc can omit the sound in certain areas. If this is the case, you can use VirtualDub to export the sound to MP3 first then use the MP3 as the sound source with TMPGEnc. If you look around that website, it should show you how to do it, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.