What's new

Emulator coding

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
Hey all, I have a question. In the next few years, I'm looking to get into some courses which would help me in developing emulation-related things, because, I would like to program an emulator (Or GFX plugin) for a console some day. For those of you who know how, what course(s) would you recommend? And, once I take those, what program(s) would I need to begin work? If possible, I'd like to use free programs, but, if it isn't possible, I can get one that costs money. Thanks in advance.

mesman00

What's that...?
well, it depends, do you have any prior programming knowledge? if not, id suggest gettin into an intro to programming course, probably with c/c++. then, once finished with that course, u can move on to the next, and so on. also, don't be afraid to branch out on your own and try to learn a thing or two. and, if you plan on emulating a certain console, it would'nt help to read up on the tech doc's available for it.

conkerman

conkerman
im learning some coding now... lets see now...
nehe.gamedev.net opengl in windows
http://ask.ii.uib.no/ebt-bin/nph-dweb/dynaweb/SGI_Developer/OpenGL_PG/ opengl using glut(no windows stuff)
www.cpp-home.com c++ homepage, they have some c++ tutorials u can read and new ones every few days
i went on dc/kazaa/morpheus and got some teach yourself in 21 days things
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/ windows programming

im not too far with anything, and i dont have any course knowledge, so above is some stuff that could help. if u go to google and type in c tutorial or c++ tutorial, u should get a billion hits

u need a compiler. i have microsoft visual c++ 6, but there are free ones, i think that u should use a windows one with a gui to make it easier though

good luck
conkerman

OP
D

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
Thank you to both of you, you have been most helpful. I'll look to you guys (if you're still around) to be beta testers, if I indeed make an emulator/plugin. Thanks once again!

Eddy

I Run This
thanks people, guess ima have to start coding again, see if i pick up on opengl, i hate d3d

linker

Emutalk Member
nehe.gamedev.net is coool, I have read all of the tutorials there.

Last edited: