What's new

NAOMI CHD games: how to load them?

Devil Master

I see that Demul has a plugin to load CHD games, but what is the correct procedure to load and play them?

I made 2 tests with the Ikaruga CHD (a file called gdl-0010.chd and a zipped file called ikaruga.zip containing a file called 317-5081.jpn.data). For the first test, I did the following:
- selected the gdrCHD plugin from the menu Config->Plugins
- selected the file gdl-0010.chd from Config-GDROM
- opened the ROM selection screen from File->Run Naomi
- selected Ikaruga
and I got an error message: "Unable to find ikaruga.bin inside ikaruga.zip"

For the second test, I did the following:
- selected the gdrCHD plugin from the menu Config->Plugins
- selected the file gdl-0010.chd from Config-GDROM
- selected File->Run DC
This time the Dreamcast BIOS booted and reached the "Play/File/Music/Settings" screen, while on the top of the window, the words NAOMI_GDROM_IKARUGA appeared. Whenever I choose "Play" with the joypad, the screen goes white for half a second, then the "Play/File/Music/Settings" screen appears again.

What am I doing wrong?

OP
D

Devil Master

Wow, I can't believe nobody even looked at my topic in 9 days! :(
Anyway, this is the reply I got at NGEmu, where I asked the same thing:
There is a solution.
1.Run the game in mame
2.Press escape
3.Rename encrypted file in the root directory to ikaruga.bin
5.Zip ikaruga.bin and place it into roms folder of Demul

Arcade games have nothing to do with gdrCHD plugin.
So, what is the CHD plugin used for?

Hawq

I don't know why the person that replied said 'Arcade games have nothing to do with gdrCHD plugin' as it has everything to do with it, if running Ikaruga (since that's the example you mentioned) you need the rom & chd and that plugin is what you use to select the chd. Use the run Naomi option and select the appropriate chd, just tick the 'pop up this window before starting emulation' option for the plugin if you are going to be playing a few Naomi games, it'll remember the last one so if you fire it up to play the last game again it'll still be selected, you just need the rom & chd for the Naomi titles and away you go (assuming you have the bios as well of course).

OP
D

Devil Master

This is what appears when I select the "Run NAOMI" option:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3532/selectrom.jpg
Next I select Ikaruga, and this is what appears:
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/6871/unable.jpg
And this is my plugin configuration:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9098/plugins.jpg
Oh, and I do have the NAOMI BIOS: it's a bunch of files inside a zip archive in the same directory as the executable.
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/989/naomi.jpg
The emulator is currently set to use epr-21577d (USA).

What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I also tried Cosmic Smash, which has only ROMs and no CHD, and that works.

Last edited:

ShinobiZ

hello,

I managed to get the GD-ROM games working in lastest DEMUL !

Here is step by step how I got them working.

I'll take as example the game VIRTUAL TENNIS 2

1st, you need the lastest version of MAME (0.130U4) compiled in debugger mode (MAMED.EXE)
2nd, you also need the proper MAME roms and CHD for that game.

Then here is how to proceed to get the correct DEMUL rom and run it :

1. Run "Virtua Tennis 2" with the debugger version of MAME -> MAMED.EXE VTENNIS2
2. Exit MAME after the rom loading screen.
3. In the current folder, you'll find two new files "encrypted vtennis2" and "decrypted vtennis2"
4. Delete "decrypted vtennis2" and rename "encrypted vtennis2" to "vtennis2.bin"
5. Copy the MAME rom "vtennis2.zip" into the DEMUL rom folder, add the "vtennis2.bin" into this archive.
6. Now you can RUN the game from DEMUL (the CHD plugin doesn't seems to be used!)

I also tried with IKARUGA, VTENNISG, MONKEYBALL and tehy worked !

I hope this will help you and others and now .... have fun ! :)

Thierry

OOKAMI

i have same problem but it's for the zip rom
i have ikaruga

i have loaded the chd but he dont work

i have used the zip format but the emulator dont find it (but the zip name is correct ! )

someone can help me about this issue ?

OP
D

Devil Master

i have same problem but it's for the zip rom
i have ikaruga

i have loaded the chd but he dont work

i have used the zip format but the emulator dont find it (but the zip name is correct ! )

someone can help me about this issue ?

What files are in your ikaruga.zip file, and how big are they?

shaktazuki

Um - quick question for anyone who knows - how fast a computer is necessary before Ikaruga becomes playable? How do I avoid having to go through the 300 second countdown on load? And how do you get Demul to go full-screen?

Thanks!

Last edited:

dr emu (madmax)

hi ShinobiZ ta very much for that wow i'm a wiz with emus but god has this 1 had me pullin my hair out did the mame thing got the chd and the vtennis2.zip and it worked, 1 thing i did have to do was put the vtennis bin file that was created into the vtennis2.zip file it worked ha ha even on my old athlon xp 3000 oh and for anyone wondering about the pad configuration it's the jama 1 :cheers: i like someone else said have had 1 game work can't remember what it was , oh and for anyone wanting to no what a chd is it's simply put a hard drive file for a dedicated arcade mother board some mame games wont work without e'm i no this as loads of games i got didn't work until i found somewhere that did them (not that you can get e'm working now without mame having a moan )i for 1 would like a chd manager thats easier as loads of us have probs working it(me included)i mean i can run cmd scripts but without any damnd instructions it might as well be witten in martian :angry: anyway enough ranting cheers again :bye3:

Last edited:

sandroace

hello,

I managed to get the GD-ROM games working in lastest DEMUL !

Here is step by step how I got them working.

I'll take as example the game VIRTUAL TENNIS 2

1st, you need the lastest version of MAME (0.130U4) compiled in debugger mode (MAMED.EXE)
2nd, you also need the proper MAME roms and CHD for that game.

Then here is how to proceed to get the correct DEMUL rom and run it :

1. Run "Virtua Tennis 2" with the debugger version of MAME -> MAMED.EXE VTENNIS2
2. Exit MAME after the rom loading screen.
3. In the current folder, you'll find two new files "encrypted vtennis2" and "decrypted vtennis2"
4. Delete "decrypted vtennis2" and rename "encrypted vtennis2" to "vtennis2.bin"
5. Copy the MAME rom "vtennis2.zip" into the DEMUL rom folder, add the "vtennis2.bin" into this archive.
6. Now you can RUN the game from DEMUL (the CHD plugin doesn't seems to be used!)

I also tried with IKARUGA, VTENNISG, MONKEYBALL and tehy worked !

I hope this will help you and others and now .... have fun ! :)

Thierry

Were do you get the version of mame complied in debug mode? I've been trying to find it with no luck thus far, I'm going nuts. Please help me.

Thanks in advanced.

sandroace

You'll find it at mamedev

Thank you for the help, I however can't seem to find it anywhere on the mame dev site. Unless I need to compile it myself in which case I have no idea how to do so. Is there a tutorial on how to do that? or would someone happen to have the version(or now where to get the version) already compiled?

Thanks Again.

.Sandro.

Hawq

Up to date 'u' builds of it can usually be found floating around the web as people compile it as well

Kyle022

Im a Noob

when u run the mame debug build, i cannot seem to find the decrypted and the encrypted file...is it in the rom directory? i looked and its not there.