What's new

Will my computer run Dolphin at decent speeds? + Vista64 Vs. XP64

Tjalian

Hey guys, a couple of questions here. Will my PC be able to do Dolphin at decent speeds (i.e. 45fps and above) on games were this is actually possible?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.4Ghz
2GB of DDR2 RAM
NVidia GeForce 8600 GS

Now, my PC currently runs Vista 32bit. I hear this won't get me anywhere with 6th gen emulation, so I'm considering getting a new HDD (nothing big, just like an 80GB HDD) and dual booting a 64bit OS. However, which one would be better for GC emulation performance? Vista64 or XP64? No fanboys please, I purely want to know which one would be better with these specs. Thanks.

X-Fi6

If you're going to be having another OS strictly for gaming in 64-bit, forget about Dolphin here. If you want to be able to have DirectX 10 in games that support it, get Vista 64-bit. Otherwise, if you want to get the extra fps in your games and Dolphin, then get XP 64-bit. See which one you're going to care about more.

As for the speeds you should expect: I can't be certain. The processor looks like a good enough one to me.

OP
T

Tjalian

Well to be honest, I already have Vista if I need DX10 (rofl, my GFX card can't really do the latest games anyway, not at a level I want it to, anyway). It's mainly for the extra fps in dolphin (and I suppose games in general).