What's new

Which is better? Router, or a hub?

Josep

eyerun4phun
Plain and simple, which one is better? a router or a hub? I am going to be using this for home use only, and i probably won't be transfering files from computer to computer, just need internet to another comp, which one is better in any of your guys's opinion?

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Josep said:
Plain and simple, which one is better? a router or a hub? I am going to be using this for home use only, and i probably won't be transfering files from computer to computer, just need internet to another comp, which one is better in any of your guys's opinion?

Hub...

flow``

flow``
uh... router

but i've already went through this with josep over irc so theres no real need for discussion

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe dammit! conflicting stories yet again!:) Yet i will still probably go with a router;)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
a router is an intelligent hub, meaning that it knows the address of each computer on the network and only broadcasts to the address that a packet is destined to. this improves performance and security over a hub, however in your case a hub is a better choice because it's cheaper, security is not an issue and you only have two PCs on it! (i.e. the intelligence of a router is quite pointless). An even better solution for you may be a direct cable connection, using crosswired RJ45, which eliminates the need for either.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
BUT in doing a direct cable connection you don't get the internet!:) Thats the whole point of me doing this;) In the future my dad might want to have is laptop for the internet too tho, so would having a router being easier because of the use of three computers at the same time? BTW, i have heard when you use a hub you have to have the first computer, the one that is splitting the connection ON, to have the other computer even get internet from the hub, is this true? and if it is, thats a major set back and i'd probably get a router over a hub for that reason...

Eagle

aka Alshain
I have a Hub and with it I have to pay an extra $5 per computer per month for internet so I can get 3 IP addys for my houses 3 computers (mine, my brothers, and my parents/sisters). With a router, it can assign one IP address to many computers so it would eliminate having to pay for other IPs. However, this can cause minor problems, mostly when both computers are trying to play the same multiplayer game on the internet. But that is a minor issue.

In addition there is a smart hub called a Switch, that can send packets to specific computers like Smiff said, however cannot split one IP address and does not support firewalls like a router. On the bright side a Switch is not expensive.

Anyway, Switches cost near the same as a HUB and are better so narrow you choice to a Switch or Router and forget the hub all together.

Eagle

aka Alshain
To prove my point, on pricewatch you can get a 3COM 4 port + Uplink port hub for $15, you can get a 3COM 4 port + uplink port switch for $19 and a switch is faster because it brodcasts packets to specific computers. So why would you want a hub?

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, i dunno man, i just heard that hubs aren't that great for transfering files from computer to computer on the same network, and more then likely won't be doing that;) i will probably be getting a router, considering the company e-mailed me saying its ok to use 'em, and i heard routers are terribly easy to install;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
BTW! to get my service running to the other computer through the router, i need to give the company my MAC address to have them recognize it so i can use it, is this true? if so, anyone know how long it takes for them to recognize the other computer and if it gives extra bandwith? i e-mailed the company asking the same question a few mins ago, but it takes about a day for them to respond;)

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Once a computer is connected into a network it can take up to about 5 minutes befor it can see the other computers in network neiborhood. You should still be able to ping the other computers though.

Does that even remotle awnser your question at all :)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, well kinda, i heard running winxp is a good thing, and i am running both comps with winxp, soo;) yea that kinda helps, but hopefully this freak'n company will e-mail back soon;)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
oh yeah shit i was thinking of switch, why do you want a router?! you connect one PC to the 'net, and LAN them all (any way, doesn't matter). it's only worth getting a more sophisticated solution if you have a big (i mean like 10 PCs +, corporate etc. not home) network.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Not necessarily Smiff, I want a router so I don't have to run this stinking software based firewall that eats all my memory and HD space. I only have 3 computers in the house, but I think a router can prove usefull still.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh, and Joseph, you wrong. A hub can send data from computer to computer but not as efficiently. I'm doing it now. Think of it like this...

Hub - A hub recieves data and thinks to itself. "Hmm, one of the computers on my network is requesting this data... but I dont know which one. So, I'll just send it to all of them and whichever one wants it will keep it and the rest will ignore it."

Switch - A switch recieves data and thinks to itself. "Hmm, one of the computers on my network is requesting this data... and I know exactly which one it is! So, I'll send it to only that computer and save myself some work and time.

Router - A router thinks like a switch, but can also split (or route) one IP address to several computers, avoiding the need to purchase several from the internet provider. In addition a router may have a small hard drive and processor built it, which allows it to hold a firewall software and protect your computer without running the software directly on the computer.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah i take back most of what i said above - a router is (now) a perfectly viable solution for a SOHO on broadband on a budget.. things have changed since i last looked into this :)