What's new

next step

lordvXD

Hi, I bought a book called "C++ How to program" by Deitel and Deitel. It teaches the basics as well as object oriented design with UML. I've read through about a quarter of the book and it seems the it only teaches programing in DOS. It's quite good but I'm more intrested in Win based programing. Is the DOS part necesary to learn C++ or is programing in windows a much different. Since most books do teach the same things I'm guessing it is usefull afterwards in win based programing...on to the point...
What would the next step be after I finish this book...I'm interested in online guides, tutorials, ebooks... anything you know of that can help...

Thanks in advance

LordV

Jsr

Its pretty necessary to know C/C++ before you start windows programming with it. I have only read a C++ book that explained the C++ itself, no win programming. But after that was I able to figure out most things about windows programming with help of the MSDN library. It is not as hard as it looks like, when you begin.

mesman00

What's that...?
yes, u should learn c++ for dos first, becuase u will need all the skills to carry over to windows. also, like jsr said, windows programming looks very complicated, but its not as bad as ya think... atleast thats why ive been told, for im still learning the win32 api.

Cyberman

mesman00 said:
yes, u should learn c++ for dos first, becuase u will need all the skills to carry over to windows. also, like jsr said, windows programming looks very complicated, but its not as bad as ya think... atleast thats why ive been told, for im still learning the win32 api.
The win32 API reminds me of using a sand blaster to clean your teeth. It's pretty arcane. I suppose nothing wrong with that, but they could have created some wrapping objects instead of everyone having do write wrappers every time they want to use a stream and a socket. That gets REALLY old fast. Simple wrapper class, you know server classes client classes, for both UDP and TCP? MS didn't do ANY of that, I feel like I've steped into the stone age with VC++!

Oh well VC++ is designed to be complicated and anoying I guess. :)

Welcome to MS

Cyb

bjz

/me points out that if u go to the section with pictures on winprog.org you'll find a picture of me. But its crappy quality with a pos cam.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
MS was born to make things complicated :p
They've made a lot of things very complicated, and I don't understand why, 'cuz VC++ could've been much easier.

Cyberman

Doomulation said:
MS was born to make things complicated :p
They've made a lot of things very complicated, and I don't understand why, 'cuz VC++ could've been much easier.
Superiority by making things unnecesarily complicated, I believe the catch phrase was in the Anti Trust suit.

I guess that is how they maintain there edge.

Cyberman

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Yup, they can maintain their tyranny because people don't know any better, or are too dumbed down by marketing to demand better products for less.

It sux0rs.

:(