What's new

Incompatibility with GeForce MX440 (or Pentium4)?

Pegote

Hello, I've looked in many places to see if anyone had the same problem, but couldn't find anything...

I used to run Project 64 (v1.6) with the "Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2" GFX plugin on my older computer - it was a Pentium 3, the video card was a simple TNT2-RIVA. Most games ran quite well (I was playing Majora's Mask with no problems at all).

I recently got a slightly better machine - a Pentium 4, with a GeForce MX440 8X... But for whatever reason, it's actually running worse than on my other PC. For instance, on Majora's mask, right when the game starts, the Nintendo logo on the opening has a transparent blue rectangle over it... Then, in-game, many textures will flicker... Anyway, weird stuff like that.

(Not all games run badly though - I've played Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 and they've worked fine.)

I've tried a bunch of different plugins and setups but by now I'm quite confounded... So, if anyone has any suggestions or info on this, I'd really appreciate it.

(Sorry for littering the forum with more first posts asking for help.)

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What version of the Nvidia ForceWare drivers are you using? I'm asking because IIRC, the GeForce4 MX440 is basically a slightly souped up GeForce 2, and after certain ForceWare driver version, the card actual performs a lot worse than with older drivers.

My memory is fuzzy regarding this, so I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin should work with that card - Jabo's Direct3D8 not so well.

Also, games like Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 are less demanding than say, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Goldeneye 007, etc., so that also explains why the some games have less issues with weaker graphics hardware.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pegote

I have version 93.71 of the nVidia Forceware installed... I never really had a graphics accelerator before, so I just went with the newest version that was compatible with the MX440...

(Yeah, I know we're in 2008. I'm poor, and from Uruguay - cut me some slack.)

Thanks for the tip, I'll check into that.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
(Yeah, I know we're in 2008. I'm poor, and from Uruguay - cut me some slack.

Sorry for being off topic;

No prejudice here at ET. :)

Not sure about anyone else here, but I for one know what it's like to be in that situation, quite well.

Last edited:

smcd

I had a GF4 MX 440 for a long time too. I found the 4x.xx to lower 5x.xx drivers to work the best with it. (43.xx? through 51.xx? it's been a couple years :) )

OP
P

Pegote

Thanks for the replies, very cool of you all. I installed Forceware version 52.[something] and didn't get any positive results (in fact, I got a "can not allocate memory" message or something like that, which I had never seen before). Then I tried with version 84.73 but... still no results...

What really irks me, as i mentioned in my first post, is that these games ran perfectly on my (even) older computer... with the Tnt-Riva that came with it and all...

Thinking about it, I have some recollection that using the MX440 on that older computer also worked fine... I'm somewhat tempted to install the tnt-riva on this pc, take it out, then re-install the MX440.

ps. Do you think it could have something to do with the version of Project 64 I'm using? (v1.7)

OP
P

Pegote

I just went even further back and installed version 43.45... presto! It worked. Or at least that darned Termina Field isn't a flickering inferno anymore.

Tjalian

Sorry for being off topic;

No prejudice here at ET. :)

Not sure about anyone else here, but I for one know what it's like to be in that situation, quite well.

Same here (actually, still do :unsure: )

But anyway. I used to have the old MX440 myself (I wonder if you remember me having that card, cool ;)). Not a bad card at all to be honest, despite what some people say. Anyway, with Jabo's 1.5.2 plugin, try turning off antistropic filtering and get rid of Emulate clear. Also, try turning down the resolution. Don't know if this will help any, but it's worth a shot.

I wish my old PC with my MX440 in it still worked (yes, I still have it! :p), but it's gone all crazy and doesn't work any more (the PC I mean). I remember having a couple of issues myself with flickering, it seemed to have its good and bad days. Check back here and tell us if this works!

OP
P

Pegote

Same here (actually, still do :unsure: )

But anyway. I used to have the old MX440 myself (I wonder if you remember me having that card, cool ;)). Not a bad card at all to be honest, despite what some people say. Anyway, with Jabo's 1.5.2 plugin, try turning off antistropic filtering and get rid of Emulate clear. Also, try turning down the resolution. Don't know if this will help any, but it's worth a shot.

I wish my old PC with my MX440 in it still worked (yes, I still have it! :p), but it's gone all crazy and doesn't work any more (the PC I mean). I remember having a couple of issues myself with flickering, it seemed to have its good and bad days. Check back here and tell us if this works!

I think I already turned all of those things off (along with everything else), in an attempt to see what screwed (or fixed) the game up :p But in the end, like I mentioned before, "downgrading" to an older Forceware appears to have done the trick (version 43.45.)

Yesterday I borrowed the original drivers CD of a MX4000 from a friend, with a slightly newer FW version (56.##)... If I can have a newer driver that still works, better.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I used to have a GeForce4 MX440 AGP8x, back in the day. I concluded that it was hardly up to any job. For all intents and purposes these days, the thing is virtually useless.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
The Geforce 4 MX440 benefits from having several shader functions emulated on Detonator drivers up to 40. Past that, the emulation is no longer available and so many of the ingame effects stop functioning properly. This makes it incompatible with the RTT effects used in the Dx8 plugin

For instance, on Zelda OoT, the texture that makes up hyrule field will disappear at random. Use the 1.5.2 plugin corrects this.