What's new

some newbie questions

catastrophe

hey everyone,

i'm new to the world of n64 emulation and i was fortunate enough to stumble upon this forum. i was hoping that someone would be kind enough to answer a few questions i have so that i can better understand how everything works =]

first i'll give you a little background on my situation; i've recently flown the nest, sort of speak, but left my beloved n64 and games at my parents [over 500 miles away]. after wasting a few hours watching speed runs on youtube, my need for n64 action kicked in and i just had to play them for myself. so i downloaded project 64 along with a copy of blast corps hoping to regress to my youth.

however, i found that the graphics for the world map to be off and wondered if it was the rom or my computer that was the cause, so i googled it and wound up here. i spent a few more hours reading away on here and wikipedia in hope to understand this cool medium more, but i still have a few questions that are puzzling me...

1] how exactly does somebody make a rom image of an n64 game?
from what i can gather they are pretty much just copying the code straight out, which means in theory that the rom is exactly the same as original game. it is then the emulators job to best simulate an n64 to make it appear as intended. so am i right to assume that its just the emulators that aren't exact in producing an accurate copy, or is it a problem with the roms, or maybe both? this leads me into my next question

2] if the technology improves, will the rom version of, for example, body harvest now work properly... or would i have to download a new version of that rom?
well i have read that this game currently doesn't work properly (the character only moves one way, or something) so i never bothered to download it. however were i to download it now, would that same rom work if someone was to create a compatible plug-in for the game?

3] why do people keep bad rom files in a game's zip folder?
it confuses as to why there are copies of a bad imaged rom, when there is a perferctly good one located in the same folder. is there a reason for this?

well thats it for now, i would really appreaciate it if someone could answers my questions as i'm very keen to learn more.

- dan

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
1) One uses a device called a backup unit. It is the emulator's job to emulate the target hardware as accurately as possible, so if the ROM image is good, most bugs are due to emulator not doing its job accurately enough. Then again, in the early days of dumping, many people did not know how to use the backup units properly, resulting in loads of bad dumps that permeate the Internet these days. Or then the backup units themselves were faulty.

2) Rom versions rarely have anything to do with how well a game runs on a emulator. Revisions are usually made by the developer to fix, say, severe grammar errors, and other glaring mistakes. Most developers do not do this, however. For a game to run "like on the real hardware", the ROM image must be good and the emulator (and plugins especially) accurate enough to emulate the game as intended.

3) As stupid as it might sound, collectors are just that; collectors. Discarding nothing and keeping everything. These people don't care if they have bad dumps in their archives.

Last edited:
OP
C

catastrophe

thanks for such a speedy and insightful response agozer. it's greatly appreaciated and i'm finding the whole process so intriguing.

i feel the best way to learn about something is to 'disect' it and look at the pieces inside. could you advise a good tool for doing so? idealy i'm looking to find out how all the music and sound effects work for ocarina of time =]

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There is a tool/program that let's you play music from N64 games (namely the USF format and the 64th Note player), but due to the complexity of the N64 audio specification and the various ways different games use the audio capabilities to ultimately output the needed sound(s), ripping N64 audio is certainly not an easy task.

You'd have to know a good bit of programming and Assembly in general in order to probe the ROM for usable audio data. the way I've come to understand the concept, the you'd need to hack the game to the point where the game only plays the intended audio, and nothing else, and then it can be ripped to a more suitable USF format, if even that. Of course, a much easier Average Joe way would be to simply record the output to WAV, but I don't think that is what you want.

In short, getting music/ sound effects from N64 games is quite arduous, as everything in a game is just a huge chunk of code, unlike in a system like the SNES, where the audio/music has a definite place in the overall game code, and can be easily spotted, isolated and ripped.

Read more here: http://www.hcs64.com/usf/

OP
C

catastrophe

thanks for the further reading, i'll check that out now. i realise that it was a bit of a noobish question to ask, but then everyone has to start somewhere.

i do know a fair bit about programming, though not enough to probe a whole rom and know what to look for. i'll play the safe option and start with 'hacking' snes games for now, and hopefully progress from there.

i find it fascinating that they can compile all the music, sfx, graphics, then all the ai and code needed to bind everything together into such a small file