What's new

A few imput questions...

Ciell

Hi, I'm currently running Mupen64Pls 1.4 under Ubuntu 8.04 and I'm wondering about the basic input plugin.

I can't seem to find the start button, the d-pad (for Kirby), and Z. Any help?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Basic Input isn't going to get you very far. Use blight, even for keyboard input (Keyboard is in the list of devices, just click the box on the top right until it says "Keyboard")

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Hi, I'm currently running Mupen64Pls 1.4 under Ubuntu 8.04 and I'm wondering about the basic input plugin.

I can't seem to find the start button, the d-pad (for Kirby), and Z. Any help?

As nmn said, I would recommend to use blight_input instead of mupen64_input and configure your controller with the blight input GUI.

OP
C

Ciell

I can't get the blight plugin to show up on the config screen, so I dl'ed it online.

But now, when I press a key, it automatically holds it down. Even when I let go.

sultanoswing

I believe you may need to add a dependency to get Blight to show up in the config screen...I can't remember what one off the top of my head, but a quick search will turn it up, or if someone else chimes in...

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Use the included blight input. If the GUI never shows up, be sure SDL-ttf is installed. Various distros have different packages for this. I'm not an ubuntu user so bare with me but i believe you want to do this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-0

I'm most worried i got the package name wrong, but i think that would be it. Anyways, you do that on a terminal and then try running Mupen64Plus and configuring regular blight (included with M64P) and you should be good to go. If not let us know what else goes wrong.

<slightly offtopic> Can't we statically compile to SDL-ttf to avoid this?

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Removing the SDl_tff dependency was on the TODO list since 1.2. Its only used to draw Blight's SDL GUI, which was agreed should be replaced with either a Gtk or KDE4/Qt GUI (ideally both, one for each GUI). Ebenblues was working on this, but hasn't been around recently.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Maybe we can use freetype instead of SDL_ttf. Freetype is already needed by the core for the OSD anyway.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Removing the SDl_tff dependency was on the TODO list since 1.2. Its only used to draw Blight's SDL GUI, which was agreed should be replaced with either a Gtk or KDE4/Qt GUI (ideally both, one for each GUI). Ebenblues was working on this, but hasn't been around recently.
Yeah, I haven't been able to contribute for a little while, but I'm still around. I think the best solution is still converting the blight config gui to gtk, which would remove the SDL_ttf dependency.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
In order to do this reliably, we still need an SDL window, so i'm guessing we'll still need to use at least freetype so we can display the message to enter a key. We could possibly avoid it, but in it's current state it would be better if we could show what button they are assigning (especially since the axis's are now split)

Günther1

Maybe we can use freetype instead of SDL_ttf. Freetype is already needed by the core for the OSD anyway.

That would essentially mean reimplementing SDL_ttf, which is a really tiny library; One header, one source file. I'd suggest to instead link it statically for the official binaries and bundle a copy in the sources to comply with the GPL.