What's new

rumble AND controller pack

daaceking

any way of using rumble and controller pack simultaneously in project64?

using project64 1.6
nrage input v2 1.83

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The point is that you can't do it with the current N64 plugins. Switch them on the fly like you did on the real N64.

OP
D

daaceking

what is on the fly? i'm new to this, i've never done things like this on the real n64.

can't you get the emulator use rumble and when the game requires memory pak, it auto detects it and switches then switches back. i'm saying this because what if you try saving it with accidently the rumble pack in. doesn't it become too late to switch back and save?

how come ps1 games are a full 700mb cd and n64 are just approx 32mb? have they cut out a lot of detail and quality or is that just the size?

Last edited:

Clements

what is on the fly? i'm new to this, i've never done things like this on the real n64.

English idiom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_fly

Open N-Rage configuation and go to the shortcuts tab, and you can assign a key/button for the task.

can't you get the emulator use rumble and when the game requires memory pak, it auto detects it and switches then switches back.

Nope.

i'm saying this because what if you try saving it with accidentally the rumble pack in. doesn't it become too late to switch back and save?

Yes. You can only switch at the designated screens.

how come ps1 games are a full 700mb cd and n64 are just approx 32mb? have they cut out a lot of detail and quality or is that just the size?

N64 cartridges hold significantly less data than a CD.

I think it might have been possible with 3rd party items on the n64 like http://www.ztnetstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/114 as for how to do it in project64? no idea :(

Possibly had a physical button on the pack to induce a switch from mem to rumble rather than being automatic, but not too sure.

OP
D

daaceking

i would have thought the game would work using one pak. so its as if the game can read your mind and tells you to put memory back in. cool

on the original n64, some games saved on the controller pak and some saved on the cartridge itself. does that mean in project64 that some games save on the rom file or are all saves in project64's 'save' directory?

Last edited:

Agozer

All saves are stored in Project64's save folder. MemPak saves appear as .mpk files among other saves. Neither emulators nor the actual console never store anything in the ROM itself (as it stands, it's Read Only Memory).

OP
D

daaceking

you know the n-rage input plugin, it has the following rumble options. these are constant force, ramp force, direct rumble and visual rumble. can someone please explain what these are and what they mean and the differences and which one the real n64 uses.

Agozer

Constant Force = When rumble activates it's strength from start to finish.
Ramp Force = When rumble activates, it starts low and then rises to the maximum level, i.e. ramps up.
Direct Rumble = Don't know. Haven't tested this myself.
Visual Rumble = flashes window boarders when rumble activates. Obviously only works in windowed mode.

IIRC, the real N64 uses ramp force, but my memory fails me. Try all the options and choose your favorite.

OP
D

daaceking

i dont have rumble yet. im hoping i can get my hands on an adaptoid. i was quite partial to whatever the original was but im also partial to constant

can someone tell me what direct rumble is then?

OP
D

daaceking

i sent ztnet (the new makers of adaptoid) an email regarding adaptoids and they have told me n64 adaptoids will have a second preorder run so everyone who wants an adaptoid watch out for this!!!

no rumour - me being honest

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
For me, Direct Rumble is usually disabled. As far as I can tell, it's only for the Adaptoid.

Agozer

For me, Direct Rumble is usually disabled. As far as I can tell, it's only for the Adaptoid.
Yeah, same for me. I did some googling and it seems that the term Direct Rumble shows up most often with the Adaptoid.

OP
D

daaceking

does anyone know where to get an adaptoid? i'm actually looking to get one but having trouble because its rare and can only preorder online and stuff the reason was its compatibility and rumble. is it difficult to implement rumble into adapters or hard to make n64 adapters? because there are only two n64 adapters. one with rumble one without. adaptoid and ps/n64 boom. mind you boom is out of bussiness so that might become rare eventually too.!!!

OP
D

daaceking

can someone please tell me what sort of memory pack the adaptoid uses, as in:-

1) does it save memory pak data to the hard drive like other plugins,

2) save to a real mem pak

3) both

smcd

If you have a hardware memory pack it I think it can save onto there. Otherwise, it can use files like any other controller.

Last edited:
OP
D

daaceking

best rumble controller

i'm thinking of buying a joypad with rumble. which one has better rumble please.

a) n64 with tremorpak (aa batteries) with unknown number of motors (adaptoid obviously)

b) a pc joypad (thrustmaster firestorm dual power 3) with no batteries and 2 motors

im not sure how the explanation of joypad buttons work so can someone please tell me does "360-degree movement via the 2 analog controllers, 12 programmable buttons and an 8-way D-Pad" cover the minimum number of buttons of an original n64 joypad? thanks

pc joypad info...

http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=52&PlatformID=5