What's new

Super Smash Brothers Melee freezes right before match starts

seanhess

hey all,

I got it running great. It's fast, and I'm getting 20-25 fps. The main menus are snappy and work. I followed these directions. My computer should definitely be able to handle it.

However, in both single classic and brawl modes, after I select a character and press start, it freezes. My CPU cycles stay high, and it doesn't ever refresh the screen again.

I can't figure it out. I got a battle to work in event mode. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks
~sean

Xtreme2damax

Yep, do as Starscream mentioned. There is only one way to play SSBM and that is to use Dolphin64 Beta 3 with Dual-Core support on a 64-bit operating system such as XP/Vista x64 and even then SSBM has some problems.

Also note most games are not playable via Dolphin right now and Dolphin is basically for the enthusiasts to show Gamecube games running on your PC.

If you maybe wait a year - a few years Dolphin or Gekko might be optimal for playing Gamecube games on your PC, but for right now not so much. ;)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Yep, do as Starscream mentioned. There is only one way to play SSBM and that is to use Dolphin64 Beta 3 with Dual-Core support on a 64-bit operating system such as XP/Vista x64 and even then SSBM has some problems.

Also note most games are not playable via Dolphin right now and Dolphin is basically for the enthusiasts to show Gamecube games running on your PC.

If you maybe wait a year - a few years Dolphin or Gekko might be optimal for playing Gamecube games on your PC, but for right now not so much. ;)
Nope, wrong information.
You can also play SSBM with the normal Dolphin, you just have to do the language trick, that means, change the langauges via the menu befor you start the fight and all should be fine.
But like [SS] Starscream already statet, you could have found it via the forum search much faster! So next time, search!

Xtreme2damax

Nope, wrong information.
You can also play SSBM with the normal Dolphin, you just have to do the language trick, that means, change the langauges via the menu befor you start the fight and all should be fine.
But like [SS] Starscream already statet, you could have found it via the forum search much faster! So next time, search!

Oh I didn't know that, what a weird way to fix an issue with the game freezing. :p

I apologize, I didn't even know about that fix I tried to play the game on the 32-bit version of Dolphin and it froze at the same exact spot as the op so I gave up and tried Dolphin64 since people were playing SSBM without many problems.;)